Parkinsons vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Parkinsons vices are any good?

Seen a rough one going cheap thay might clean up nice.

$_58.JPG
$_58.JPG

phil.p":1nh9uc51 said:
They're fine. Do a bit of research into electrolysis? It's the easiest way of cleaning them up.
I'd prefer a record but can never find any at reasonable prices. For £10 it's got to be worth a punt.

Good call on the electrolysis. I did it once before using a car battery charger and it worked quite well.

Well worth restoring, as Phil says "research into electrolysis". Not difficult, large plastic container, washing soda, battery charger and a lump of sacrificial steel.

Nice vice but it's not QR. Something to bear in mind. I thought they were all red as well?

Cheers guys.
What type of paint do people usually use once cleaned up?
Is it just a hamerite job?

These days I try to use "Flag" metal paint, instead of Hammerite: it's not politically correct and uses a formula very similar to the original (good) Hammerite formula. New Hammerite does work, but it hates grease and IMHO is not as tough once it hardens off (which takes weeks).

Double check though that Flag paints haven't given in to correctness though and changed their formula. I have a number of tins of it in nice colours, but haven't actually bought one for a while. They have (had) a web site tho, IIRC it had distributors on it.

E.

PS: Forgot to say - Flag was in Toolstation, but I think they've merged some of their operation with Wickes, and I"m not sure they still stock it. Last time I looked, the more intersting colours weren't available from them any more, only black and white.

Monkey Mark":1hgj9cbx said:
Does anyone know if the Parkinsons vices are any good?

Seen a rough one going cheap thay might clean up nice.

Is the main thread Acme, Buttress or Whitworth?

It looks a bit Whitworth in the (not big enough to be sure) photo.

BugBear

No need for new paint on that old Parkinson. The original paint has got worn off where new paint would also get worn off in use and survived where it won't. I'd just remove the rust and give it a wipe over with thinned boiled linseed oil which will protect any bare or thin parts. Why pay more for paint than you paid for the vice!

Googling for info has led me to something I didn't know.

"Perfect" and "Samsonia" were both brand names used by Parkinson's.

Samsonia was just their brand for Forged Steel vises, as opposed to Cast Iron vises.

Helpful to know when you're deciding on how much to pay for a vise.

BugBear

Back