My Incra mitre gauge is not so precise!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
Having read the Mitre Gauge review, I felt happy about ordering the Incra V27.
However, upon setting and adjusting according to the instructions I find that the fence face is not at 90 deg. to the sawtable. (see pics)
This may be due to the part being made from pressed steel!..or am I missing something?...looks like I'll have to compensate when I make a custom fence!
Has anyone else had this problem

Disappointed Gerry!

SV100587 (600 x 450).jpg
SV100585 (600 x 450).jpg

Attachments

• SV100585 (600 x 450).jpg
    SV100585 (600 x 450).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,371
  • SV100587 (600 x 450).jpg
    SV100587 (600 x 450).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,371
I would expect that from the freebies supplied with machines, but not a quality aftermarket fence. I agree with Graham send it back as it not fit for purpose.

I have just checked mine, the 1000 model and the same inaccuracy is apparent.

What is happenning is the cross fence would normally run on the table surface and they have a design that perhaps allows this fence to not drag too heavily on the table top.

The drive bar to cross section is packed up slightly.

I intend having a false fence anyway (it is needed to produce the cutting line) and now I know of this set up fence will accommodate. We should have been informed of this when fence set up is mentioned in manual.

My aluminum fence is square and square to the gauge arrangement.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with your supplier.

SEND IT BACK !!!
Such is the trouble with modern equipment these days. Made by bean counters not engineers. Even when you pay a premium price you sometimes get rubbish.

+1 on demanding a warranty replacement. The whole flippin point of paying premium price for after market accessories is because they guarantee quality!

Basil Fawlty moment coming on!

Thanks guys, for all your comments, however even though I have only tried the gauge this weekend, I bought it in January...so I don't think a refund would be forthcoming!
I will make a custom fence allowing for the descrepancy and hope for good results!

Gerry

Perhaps some gentle persuasion with a hammer might cure it. Think id be inclined to put it in an engineering vice and give it some taps

ColeyS1":398tu7j0 said:
Perhaps some gentle persuasion with a hammer might cure it. Think id be inclined to put it in an engineering vice and give it some taps

No no nooooooooooooooooooooooooh. :)

Actually the metal gauge is at least 4mm thick?

Just pack it out on sliding bar or fence.

I have a range of varying size hammers- perhaps one of the larger ones then dw :lol:

don't use a hammer use an adjustable spanner to tweak it...... put something on the faces but 4mm already folded would be easy to tweak.

It won't affect its function as a mitre gauge so you might as well ignore it, or correct it with a suitably trimmed false fence. Or with a hammer.

If it was me I would just pack out the false fence as Jacob says, but for point of reference if you do want to return it, there is no time limit on returning faulty or unmerchantable quality goods, the seller will have to take it back and refund your money.
Richard

Agreed. The fact you bought in January is immaterial in uk consumer law. In any case the manufacturers warranty will be 12months let alone any additional legal rights you have. So you're well covered. I really seriously would take it back. Improvising a solution is fine for cheaper alternatives where you expect to fettle, but not with that in my view.

i would also send it back, or contact Inca and ask for their thoughts. Correcting through false fencess is alright on cheap goods or on old stuff where spares are expensive or unobtainable, but on brand new, premium stuff I think not.

Do not shout me down here ----- just playing devils advocate but.......

Is there any chance it could be done like that for a reason, so whilst pushing the piece into the saw it maintains a compressive force on the piece to help pieces not jumping up???

Do not have a table saw and am inexperienced with one but from an engineering point of view this could be possible and is logical

I understand your thoughts craigy, but whilst cross cutting, I usually apply pressure with fingers forcing the timber to be cut, back onto the guide face , using this Incra fence it follows that it would want to tilt in order to make full contact with the face of the guide/fence!
..at the same time ‘lifting’ the rear of workpiece off the table..
For instance trying to cut a tenon, it would never end up parallel due to the few degrees offset on the guide!!
The only other thing which I don’t like is the ball handle!!

Rutlands refuse to refund because the item has been used...I suppose I should have seen with my naked eye the discrepancy straight out of the box!!!
...perhaps I should have gone to spe*savers!!

Latest posts

Back