Makita 18v orbital sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
f72a2e278ae9d6a6fbb3ec86d38c2e1c.jpg

I've got the majority of the makita 18v range and thought this little sander might come in handy. I use a corded makita belt and orbital sander with long hoses for the majority of sanding tasks. Working through the grits and having to change sheets (unclipping) can be a nuisance, so this having velcro version should make things quicker. Hopefully the finer grit paper won't tear so easily either.
First impressions are it's awesome !!!! It doesn't seem as fast as a corded version but it still works well.
44276339c434bcf3a4efea9f31522fc8.jpg

Extraction is superb, so much so I didn't think it was doing a very good job until I check the dust bag. On boards wider than the sanding base you can control and steer the sander using 1 finger
bd0271a5d89aea2dca9fcc9ea7d00bb1.jpg

Narrower bits can be easily controlled with 3
82874ed0a6136fc270533ce9c0f95b61.jpg

The movement seems to be where the sander needs it, not shaking your hand all over the place.
8d829c32db26215f0981502ace4b9849.jpg

A good sander to supplement a corded version or if you'd only use it for small jobs.
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

looks very good quality , however what about the fine dust which it doesn't catches? :(
save your lungs pal if you plan to work with it everyday, you will need them!

MrDavidRoberts":1i9f78rz said:
looks very good quality , however what about the fine dust which it doesn't catches? :(
save your lungs pal if you plan to work with it everyday, you will need them!
When ever I'm sanding I put this on
3f5ff092489a6623d6d9674b00f4e6b9.jpg

Not perfect but other than wearing a dust mask day in day out,its a vast improvement.

Coley, how do you see what you're doing and I didn't realize you had such a big mouth gan'ma :p

edit typo

Quick update with the sander. I'm using it alot more than I thought I so have ended up getting 80, 100,180,240 and 320 discs. I'm amazed how much dust gets sucked up !
I've been using it on mainly hardwood but did do a largish batch of denibbing painted sheets- it was absolutely fantastic, very quick and left a remarkably smooth finish.
Over the last few days I've noticed it spinning less and thought I should take a look to see why it'd suddenly slowed right down
cfa92b7a48a9106b924b9d8f17b92d45.jpg

The bit where the pencils pointing had a few blobs of what looked like compacted paint stuck in the gap. This caused the centre part to slightly sieze/stop turning. 3 screws to take off the pad and then just push out the offending blobs- no need to take off the side like I did :lol:

Perhaps it was the paint, perhaps it'll do the same after a while with just wood dust. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Cheers
Coley

Sander is still fantastic- just thought I'd bump the thread to the top because someone was asking about getting one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I got one for shed building duties mostly. Very handy and for the price I was pleasantly surprised how well it gathered dust without an extractor. It fairly goes through batteries even on slower speeds though. I wouldn't want to use it for any great length of time but for a quick bit of sanding in awkward spots for power it's great.

ColeyS1":2in6z13w said:
Sander is still fantastic- just thought I'd bump the thread to the top because someone was asking about getting one.

Thanks for bumping this. 8)

I've just ordered one of these as a late Christmas present for myself. Should be here by Monday. :mrgreen:

As I have ordered the bare tool with Makpac case and inlay (I have two spare 4Ah batteries and charger to go with it) I suspect the case not to have the correct sticker to show what's in the box so I have utilised boxing day morning to make some new labels for my jigsaw, circular saw and the new sander. Simply print them on sticky paper, laminate and stick them on.

If anyone needs a template just let me know and I'll email one in PDF format. They're not identical to the original stickers but good enough for me.

I have 10 of these boxes now so it's handy to know what's in each box.

Hope you think it's a good purchase. First glance at your post proper worried me
b49b660e01d0e5c2189f428eedff18f6.jpg

I thought it was a picture of my worktop lol

Well, the sander arrived today and I must say after a couple of hours of use it’s pretty good.

I was a bit sceptical when I first turned it on because of the relatively low speed but the balance is perfect.

This thing is going to be used a lot I imagine!

Cheers ColeyS1

Did you play about with the 3 speed settings? The thing that surprised me was how much dust it collected in the bag- must be doing a half decent job. Glad it's to your liking. The makita 18v range keeps on growing !

I've not really used the lower two settings but I'll have a go later. Bought the kids an iMac for Christmas and now they want a desk and chair for it. #-o

Dust collection is surprisingly good. I was going to get an adapter to connect my extractor but that might not be needed.

And yes, the Makita 18v range keeps growing... Bought the planer and router the other month which are both very impressive.

I'm not sure what's on the list next....

The little newcomer has been used vigorously today and I must say I'm impressed.

I've used the lower settings today for intricate bits and the thing feels good and performs well.

Battery life I didn't expect to be good but I managed to sand down a full chair I made today with one fully charged 4Ah battery. Better than I thought actually!

Dust collection as mentioned earlier is good.

I've just ordered one of these as a late Christmas present for myself. Should be here by Monday. :mrgreen:

As I have ordered the bare tool with Makpac case and inlay (I have two spare 4Ah batteries and charger to go with it) I suspect the case not to have the correct sticker to show what's in the box so I have utilised boxing day morning to make some new labels for my jigsaw, circular saw and the new sander. Simply print them on sticky paper, laminate and stick them on.

If anyone needs a template just let me know and I'll email one in PDF format. They're not identical to the original stickers but good enough for me.

I have 10 of these boxes now so it's handy to know what's in each box.

@Raymond UK
Could you send still the templates by email? I've bought some Boxes, and i like print some Stickers, like you did :)

Back