How old is my backsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin Cash said:
Thanks Dick.
Bear with me this is a practice run:

Jeez.... I'll try again later!
MC

Hi All,

I know this post is getting on a bit so apologies in advance for dredging it up again. I've been doing some research online over the last few days to try and find information on refurbishing these type of saws. I picked up a Abbeydale dovetail saw at a craft market over the Easter weekend and am interested in getting the blade in working condition and refinishing the handle. Can anyone advise where I can find information on how to remove the bolts that attach the handle to the blade? Like in Martin Cash's image, the saw is attached with some fasterners that don't have a slot on either side and i'm not keen to start forcibly removing them unless presented with no other options. All my searches to date have not lead me to how to remove these type of screws/bolts.

Appreciate any advice that can be provided.

Thank you

P.S. can't reference the image in Martin's quote, so you'll need to refer to the bottom of the first page of the thread to see what i mean.

Welcome to the forum, Vultz. Sounds like you have the push together rivet variety of saw handle fastening. A money-saver on the cheaper models of saws, and a total pain in the proverbial for the saw nut now. Never designed to be taken apart again, and the only way to remove them risks damaging the handle. If you can get 'em off cleanly, you'll have to assume you'll probably need to replace them, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the quick response. Is it safe to assume then that I would need to drill them out or do something similar to get them off? I want to avoid damaging the handle if I can.

Yeah, drilling them out is your best bet. Failing that, if you're careful - and they're not too obstinate - I've found pincers are the bet for pulling them out. But the odds of damaging the handle are obviously pretty high.

I find that placing your cursor where you want the pic to be and clicking on the button at the top of the full editor works without any fuss, perhaps I'm missing something here?
...bosshogg #-o

Ok, shall give it a go with the pincers and the drill.

Hi bosshog, it may be because my account is newly created. It said something along the lines of not having permission yet to link.

Ended up resorting to a cutoff wheel on my Dremel. Damaged the handle a little but has given free access to the saw blade to clean it up. Thanks for the advice

Back