Electrolytic rust removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scouse":3loyxc1q said:
I've done the electrolysis now; I followed the advice of Seaco, thanks by the way, and it worked like a dream. I just got an old 12V model railway power unit and set to work. It worked so well, in fact, that I have got another power unit to run two systems at the same time. Here's a link to the thread I started about tool renovation, the electrolysis is towards the bottom of the page.

old-tool-renovation-wip-t52432.html

El.

At last someone that hasn't killed themselves using electrolysis...YAY!... :wink:

Yup, I'm still here!

I do feel that there is a great deal of information out there on t'interweb that is somewhat misleading, and in many cases certainly overcomplicated. Bugbear's link is a good one, but really, you don't need to worry about percentage solution concentrations, a table spoonish per gallonish will do the job, and as long as the wires are connected the right way round, the jobs a goodun. Electrical safety around water is an important consideration, but a bit of common sense is all that is required.

I simply set up the same system as Seaco and there were no problems. I think if anyone was thinking of having a go, that would be the simplest advice I could give.

It really is an easy method of rust removal, and besides the fiver for the 12V railway controller, and a quid for a shiny new bucket, and 69p for soda crystals from Wilco's it is pretty cheap too. The results of a couple of hours with a 12 volt, 1 amp power supply speak for themselves.

002-5.jpg

014-1.jpg

El.

Latest posts

Back