$900 for a block plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I like Bridge City stuff, but I can't get on with this. Although I'm sure the engineering is up to the usual insane standard.

zoom_CT17GlamourShot.jpg

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Products ... lock+Plane

I love that...absolutely LOVE that!!!

WOW!

And that is strange for me because "go faster stripes" on a plane...like the "Turbo" Veritas doesn't normally grab me but that grabs me big style!

I mean....more like Transformer MEETS Terminator too!

zoom_CT17_Open2.jpg

:shock:

The dowel drilling jig also rocks!

zoom_DJ1_02web.jpg

You could drill for oil with that!!!

Jim

I like a lot of the Bridge City stuff, but this looks needlessly complex to me. I'm sure its really well made, but good engineering is partly about simplification and that blade clamp is just way over the top. I also don't get why the adjuster is shaped like a plug cutter?

Ed

Mr Ed":1j63g1vp said:
I like a lot of the Bridge City stuff, but this looks needlessly complex to me. I'm sure its really well made, but good engineering is partly about simplification and that blade clamp is just way over the top. I also don't get why the adjuster is shaped like a plug cutter?

Ed
Have to agree...KISS :wink: - Rob

Yep, looks fantastic but is it just engineering for engineering sakes? Like some of the overdone high end watches you see. I wonder how comfortable it would be to use as well?

Wouldn't mind seeing their take on a smoother though

"The Commemorative Tool series is an extraordinary collection of tools and the CT-17 Dual Angle Block Plane is a welcome edition to its preceding sixteen siblings."

i wonder if anyone owns all other 16 collectors items?

Very nice tool - not sure it's worth the cash, but very Gloatworthy all the same.

I see from the CHT website that the BCT shoulder plane has had a price increase - to £500! It was £380 (ish) last time I looked. That's one heck of a price rise.

Cheers

Karl

"Commemorative tools series"... so we really are in the territory of items made with no real intention of being used, but to persuade people that they are worth high prices because their value will magically increase over time. Not tools at all really. Anyone buying one would be faced by the thought "If I keep this in its box and wait, I'll make hundreds of dollars, but if I use it, that will cost me hundreds of dollars in lost profit."

Seems a bit daft to me. But that's how markets for collectibles work.

I wonder who buys this stuff?

I should probably put this question to Tony as he owns one, but I wonder how those BCT shoulder planes work. I've found that you can get the mouth openings on a shoulder catching on the tenon when cleaning up (and that's using a 3110 or LN 42), what would it be like when the body is full of openings?

I don't think it was EVER intended as a tool. Well it is really...a MARKETING tool....

You see...in these days of viral marketing...people are clever.

It worked didn't it!? 337 people here have looked at their website since yesterday...that ain't bad going! 8)

Cheers

Jim

Back