Snipes Bill plane bed angle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning

Purely out of interest, I’ve seen a few snipes bill planes recently with an extremely high bed angle, often vertical. Why would this be? Surely it would scrape rather than cut.

Steve

24377800-EBDD-4B62-ACE2-380FF8AAC317.png

Yes. Scraping gets a bad rap. I don't own one, but I do have other hollows and rounds. My impression of the task a snipe's bill is supposed to accomplish leads me to believe that lifting a chip and having it run is the last thing you'd want it to do as this would have the potential to ruin a whole, whole lot of work that came before. Lousy two cents. I'm no moulding plane expert.

Last edited:
Interesting… Old Street Tools website says theirs are 55deg. And Matt Bickford‘s video shows their use in widening gauge lines prior to a rebate plane being used, which is definitely a cutting rather than scraping operation. So I guess it’s all a compromise, best bed angle for a snipes bill is steeper than a standard moulding plane but less than vertical.

never mind, it’s all just for interest

Back