Festool sword saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinBHM

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used this for dense hardwoods?

I am working with a company who manufactures canopies and carports for the housing market and they use Opepe posts

the top of the biggest posts is 195mm x 195mm and it needs a tenon cutting on it 150mm long

would the festool saw be man enough?

currently they cut it with Makita skil saw, which means cutting around 3 sides then the shoulder, then hand sawing the bit the circular blade doesnt reach

TIA

If this is for commercial use, why not call your nearest Festool retailer, or even UK corporate HQ and arrange a demonstration/trial?

Is the work on site or in a factory? A bandsaw with infeed roller(s) sounds like a possibility.

Have a look in the For Sale section: someone was selling a big skilsaw there and mention was made of two even bigger skilsaws (I think the Mafell offering had a 450mm dia. blade).

If this is for commercial use, why not call your nearest Festool retailer, or even UK corporate HQ and arrange a demonstration/trial?

Is the work on site or in a factory? A bandsaw with infeed roller(s) sounds like a possibility.

Have a look in the For Sale section: someone was selling a big skilsaw there and mention was made of two even bigger skilsaws (I think the Mafell offering had a 450mm dia. blade).
Hi thanks for that.

the work is for commercial use, its in an industrial unit

the workshop is laid out for hand power tools, there isnt the space for bandsaw with infeed rollers

the posts are chuffing heavy, around 80kg for a post 1800 x 195 x 195

density is around 800kg per cubic metre dry

the posts are chuffing heavy, around 80kg for a post 1800 x 195 x 195

density is around 800kg per cubic metre dry

If you are going to pass this information onto a possible supplier, please run it through the confuser first as the numbers don't jive.

Using the dimensions and density gives 55kg. Using the 80kg mass and dimensions means your wood does not float.

If you are going to pass this information onto a possible supplier, please run it through the confuser first as the numbers don't jive.

Using the dimensions and density gives 55kg. Using the 80kg mass and dimensions means your wood does not float.
yeah my bad, the guys at the workshop to;d me 80kg I never checked it, although they did say ir was a lot heavier when wet -and it often is quite wet as it sweats in the workshop

I'd probably has said something like Mafell would be the choice, and one of their saws i know has a 185mm cut depth, but you could use a chainsaw. Maybe not for tenons, but for cut to length etc.

Theres info here on a home made jig for holding a chainsaw perpendicular to a workpiece.

TBH its a bit scary watching the builder(Leo) sitting on the timber, pulling the saw towards himself :LOL:
About 3mins in shows the jig and it in use. Probably going to be cheaper than the Festool

Theres info here on a home made jig for holding a chainsaw perpendicular to a workpiece.

TBH its a bit scary watching the builder(Leo) sitting on the timber, pulling the saw towards himself :LOL:
About 3mins in shows the jig and it in use. Probably going to be cheaper than the Festool

I remember watching that video at the time it was released and I also remember having palpitations as he made those cuts....😮
The boat is now, very recently, in the water.....👍👍👍

Back