Router advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keir

Reaction score
Apologies in advance, as I know you must be sick of answering this question by now, but I was wondering if somebody could lend me their experience and recommend me a router?

I've read through a lot of threads on here, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Trend T5 or the Triton MOF001, with the Triton probably being my preferred option, due to the 1/2" collet.

I make control panels for arcade cabinets, so cut a lot of strange shapes in wood, I've been doing it by hand with a chisel, but as I need to step up production I think it's time to invest! I mainly use MDF, for ease of use, but would like to use more interesting woods - hence the router.

It would be almost exclusively hand held use, which is why I am still considering the Trend, as I know quite a few people seem to use it as a backup to their table router.

Also, any recommendations for a bit set? I'll mainly be using a roundover bit, and a straight cutter, but I guess that's just to duplicate the work I currently do. I'm sure there's lots of interesting uses I've never thought of!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Keir

Hello Keir, Welcome to the forum.

I have heard a few people say that the Triton is a bit top heavy for handheld use. It has a lot of features designed for use in a table. One of which is the ability to plunge the collet right through the base. A consequence of this is that the motor sits quite high thus raising the centre of gravity and making it prone to tipping. Having said that, I have the Triton and have never noticed this problem. I use it on the Leigh dovetail jig and find it very stable.

There are alot of nice features on the Triton, but if it exclusively for hand-held use, then you might be better off with the Trend.

Well, for now it will be mainly hand held, but I suspect before long I'll be itching to try it in a table, so it would be good to have options!

Thanks for the help!

Hi Keir - excellent name.

I use a Trend and I've been pretty pleased with it.

As far as cutters go, don't be tempted by sets! Buy what you need as you need them, that way you don't have 3 sizes of v-cutters which you have never used (speaking from experience here).

For a good source of cutters try Wealden Tools.

I am a little confused as the Trend T5 and the Triton MOF001 are very different and so do not form a very good comparison

I have the Trend T3, T5, T11 and a 1/2" Triton

Review of the Triton here

the T3 is good for trimming and excavating for inlays

The T5 is a very nice hand-held router an is easy to use + great quality, however, don't expect deep cuts with large (1/2" cutting diameter) bits

The T11 is a beast that will take huge cuts and is a fantastic hand-held.

All 3 Trends are superb quality machines and you will not regret buying any of them

The Triton is the best of the lot, but only in the table. Hand-held, it is no good at all due to its weight and its centre of gravity which is way too high. This was designed for table use. Period.

I have had 2 T5's the first one was a dud and took months of sending away to trend to find that it was rubbish.

Before that I had an Elu96e for years and I suppose I got used to quality so now even with the replacement T5 i'm not happy its badly made and reminds me of the cheap power tools you get from Screwfix Ferm etc.

The plastic base just fell off it the other day and it vibrates a hell of a lot more than my Elu. It does do its job ok but just doesn't seem well built to me.

Tony":2l1le932 said:
Hand-held, it is no good at all due to its weight and its centre of gravity which is way too high. This was designed for table use. Period.

I have to disagree with you Tony. Firstly, your review is of the larger TRB001 which is a much heftier beast to the MOF001. It weighs 1.5KG more. I can imagine how the TRB001 could be a bit heavy for hand-held use.

Kier was asking about the smaller Triton. I have used it quite extensively in hand-held mode. I have not found it top heavy at all. I also find it alot easier to set up than my other routers. The rack and pinion is a bonus for accurate depth adjustment and the plunge is very smooth and easy to control.

Ah Routers! My bag I think. :D I have found that the best router I have used is the De Walt 625EK but as has been mentioned it is a little heavy for hand use only. In a table it is a monster of a machine though. As for the hand held machines in a smaller collet I would go for the De Walt 615 which to my mind is the direct descendant of the old Elu 96E which was the Rolls Royce of routers. I can't comment on the Triton as I haven't used one but can say that the Trend T5 is as has been stated cheap and nasty. Hope this helps. :wink:

I use an Elu MOF96 and a DeWalt 625. You can increase significantly the stability of large routers like the DW 625 by fitting a large sub-base. You can either make one from MDF or use the Trend one, which has the advantage of taking the Trend guide bushes

e91e3563.jpg

e91e351b.jpg

The only problem I found with it is that it needs to be turned through 90 degrees, so I drilled out additional holes in the base (you can see the original holes in the second photo). I really like these "square" (actually oblong) bases and keep it on all the time.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

What can I say guys?

Thanks for all your input! I suspect I may have opened something of a can of worms here!

My worry with the Trend was that it perhaps lacks the build quality of some of the other routers, I've really just been looking at it as a lot of people seem to use it! I've heard good things about the build quality on the Triton but was concerned about using it hand held.

I've not looked at the Dewalt 615, so thanks Mailee, I'll definitely check it out.

Decisions, decisions! Fun, aren't they? :)

Hi Keir

Welcome to the forum.

For hand held use I use a DW621K and it is superb. The extraction has to be the best in the business.

If you go down this route then use 8mm cutters as it gives you 60% more steel than a 1/4" cutter, for the same money.

It costs about 140-160gbp but the build quality is excellent. The 8mm collet is about 14 gbp extra.

Cheers
Neil

Slimjim81":1g0ju1vv said:
Kier was asking about the smaller Triton. .

Sorry, wasn't sure if mine was the one he referred to, hence the link to my review so that he could judge

Back