Problem with Elu Drill - Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Five or six years ago, my dad gave me this old Elu cordless. It's a 9.6v, model no. SBA35K Type 1.

4484852322_a8908359af.jpg

A couple of years later, he gave me another old drill of his - it's basically the DeWalt equivalent of the same model but, it is much faster. According to my dad, the Elu used to be as fast...

I've tried fitting new batteries but that doesn't make any difference. It is basically slow and sluggish compared to the DW model, even when the batteries are fully charged.

I couldn't see any brush caps so, I recently decided to take it apart...

4484202569_82d7f0a5b5.jpg

There's nothing damaged or missing from what I can see. I have checked it off against the parts diagram at Miles Tools.

With most power tools, I'd expect it to be a case of simply replacing the carbon brushes... Most of the spares look reasonably affordable so, considering I got this for free, I'm prepared to throw a bit of money at it, assuming someone here could advise me on what to replace first...?

My dad's always maintained that this drill was always "better" than the DeWalt, which I am otherwise happy with. It's been redundant since I got the yellow one but, instead of eyeing up a pair of 10.8v Li-ion drivers, I'm thinking of the benefits of fixing the Elu and keeping separate drills for drilling and screwdriving. Plus, I really like the chuck on Elu - IMO, it's superior to the DeWalt because you can lock it! :wink:

That's enough waffling from me...

If anyone can advise me on which parts to buy or how to get this drill back up to full speed, please do get in touch.

Parts diagram.

Thanks for looking,

Olly. :)

Hi,

The Brush is part No4, it looks from the pic it slides out of the motor, try sliding yours out and see what condition they are in. £12.90 X2 plus postage is getting expensive, but if you have bought new batterys it could be worht replacing them.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. I'll give that a look tomorrow though, I'll probably give it a punt anyway.

Postage looks to be £3, which is fine by me. :)

There is another problem with this drill... :roll:

In first gear, it works. Switch it to second though, and it doesn't. Even with the trigger squeezed tightly, it just 'squeaks', as if you're very lightly depressing the trigger in first... Nothing turns around, it just stalls immediately.

Now, as I haven't used this drill in so long, I can't remember whether it was like this when I received it or not! :oops:

Any thoughts on the cause of this issue would also be appreciated. :)

Digit":3gnkhv25 said:
The second problem sounds like gear trouble to me.

You could be on to something there, Roy. Between parts 1 and 2, there is a pinion (16). Surrounding this was a series of five smaller cogs - they all fell out when I detached the motor. :oops: I did put them back in again but, maybe they're still not correct - but surely, that would mean the drill shouldn't run in first gear, either?

would not":3gnkhv25 said:
Is the problem the variable speed controller? That could be the squeak?

Sounds plausible. Erm, where is it and how would I check that?

They are planetary gears Olly and I have found that this happens under certain load conditions but nothing visibly wrong with them, I suspect that it is possibly the gears rubbing hard against the face of the casting or the bearing bushes. Try regreasing, it the bearings are bronze the squeal is typical of steel on bronze.
Test the speed control by connecting the motor straight to the battery.

Roy.

I have taken a Dewalt one to pieces and the gears just dropped all over the floor.

If that is the same with the Elu then I suggest takeing apart the gearbox and cleaning all the gunk from them.

On mine they were covered in hardened grease.

Mick

Bit of an update this morning - I've managed to get the second gear working properly though, I couldn't honestly tell you how I did it! :D It must have been something to do with the chuck, as I was using a spanner to fiddle around with that, earlier...

I was going to try fitting the brush from my DeWalt drill (they're probably identical) but I couldn't get the thing open.

Looking at part no.4 on the diagram, would I need to order one or two of these 'brush and leads'? It looks like just one, to me, although they're usually in pairs...?

Ah. Now I'm confused...

Should I be looking to replace 28 and 29 (which looks to be behind the trigger) or is it part 4, behind the motor?

I don't think you need to replace the brushes if they are not worn, try cleaning them on a bit of emery cloth to take off the glaze and trying again. You can also clean the armature if you are careful as it gets caked in carbon dust.

Mick

Should I be looking to replace 28 and 29

That's why I asked about the length Olly. But you could be on a wild goose chase. Before assuming that the brushes are at fault I would recommend that you test the speed control.

Roy.

Last night, after watching this excellent video (my drill is slightly different, but at least I knew what to look for), I went out and removed the brushes from the back of the drill, behind the motor (part 4).

4488695155_ec74a6b9f9.jpg

Slight corrosion with about 7mm protruding (there's a spring behind). Overall, they're about 12mm long, which actually sounds okay...? Might dad says he bought this drill backs in the early '90s.

I've looked around for brushes at 28 and 29 but all I can see are the wires that connect up to the brushes behind the motor... That's what was confusing me. Either, I can't see them or, they're not there?!

Roy, sorry, I'm still not clear on how I should test the speed control... Do I take these two wires (28 and 29) and connect them straight to the motor somehow, bypassing the brushes?

Absolutely not oily!
Connect the battery to the brushes using a couple of wires, if you get someone to help you they can hold the leads to the battery whilst you hold them onto the brush leads.
If the motor runs faster like that than it does with the speed control in circuit the speed control is your problem.

Roy.

Thanks, Roy. Tried that just now and it does work... Only, I'm not sure whether it is any faster. In the morning, I'll charge the batteries up again and will have to video the drill running in both setups, I think. Just to be sure.

Another thing I've realised (comparing this to the DeWalt) is that when you release the trigger, the chuck carries on rotating - if there is a brake on the Elu (?), it isn't kicking in soon enough or at all.

If there's a brake Olly it won't be a mechanical one, it would be electronic, 'plugging', which is a high faluting term for reversing the motor briefly. This again would be performed by the speed control/switch assembly.

Roy.

Well, I've just had another look at the drill and, after filming it running at both speeds (with and without the speed control connected), I'm now at the conclusion that its performance is equal to the DeWalt model. I've just a few simple tests in some 2in beech and both drills were on a par with each other... The Elu wasn't up to much a few days ago!

Before putting the brushes back in, I did lightly go over them with a bit of 400g wet and dry paper - maybe that was it all along; the slight corrosion! :roll: :oops:

...Or, it was me! :shock: I have a way with electrical things... Whenever I attend an appointment in an office where there's a printer, it ALWAYS stops working. Lights sometimes flicker and my mum's phone starts playing up when I moved around the house! Maybe I gave the old drill a little jolt... :D

As you suggested, Roy, the brake does kick in once the trigger and speed control are in place.

So, for now, I'm quite happy. I'll give it a good run against my DeWalt over the next few days and will let you know if anything changes. Although not apparently urgent, I may invest in a spare set of brushes, anyway. Might look at selling the DeWalt soon, as I should have a 14,4v Elu drill arriving next week! :wink:

Thanks for all your advice. :)

OPJ":1wh5th82 said:
...Or, it was me! :shock: I have a way with electrical things... Whenever I attend an appointment in an office where there's a printer, it ALWAYS stops working. Lights sometimes flicker and my mum's phone starts playing up when I moved around the house! Maybe I gave the old drill a little jolt... :D

ahh i get it you are secretly a wizard ;) (see the jim butcher books - wizards have problems with mechanics and electrics)

Latest posts

Back