Newbie with Front Door Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisDIYDisaster

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a keen DIYer in Hampshire. I'm generally building/fixing something or other.

Something that has stumped me lately is what to re-coat my front door with. I did it many years ago but can't for the life of me remember what I used (memory failure with age!).

You can see that it gets worse lower down the door and the weather bar at the bottom looks like its a different wood.

I'd prefer not to take it back to bare wood if possible.

Any suggestions greatfully received!

IMG_8335.jpg
IMG_8336.jpg
IMG_8337.jpg

I don’t think you need to go back to bare wood unless you’re changing the colour. Just remove the top coat of what looks like varnish or varnish/stain . A good quality yacht or exterior varnish should have it back to its former glory . If your concerned with the damage towards the bottom of the door ( not surprised as the bottom takes a lot of damage from feet and bringing large items in and out) then look for a similar varnish/ stain to match then just blend it in ..maybe try a small area 1st before going for the full coats ..hope this helps

Looks suspiciously like Sikkens to me, if that rings any bells?

If so, scrape that back and give the rest a good rub over with a green abrasive primed with white spirit, then a wipe over with a clean cloth and more WS, allow to dry then 2 coats of coloured Sadolin.

Back