Introduction and some Qs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfixit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just thought I'd introduce myself as I'm new.

I'm a north London based furniture restorer (30 years experience). I mainly French polish but can repair most things and will tackle just about anything that comes my way. General repairs, wood turning, water gilding, welding, electroplating. You name it.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any suppliers that still stock steel slotted screws, or mahogany wood mouldings? I've been buying up any slotted screws I find for the last few years as they are gradually disappearing, I can't use pro drive for the sort of work I get. Also It would be handy If anyone knows of anyone still making mahogany mouldings like, cockbeading, astrical beading and the like. I make it up myself when needed but it would be handy to have some in as it's time consuming to produce and wastes my valuable hardwood timber stock. All of the suppliers I used to get this kind of thing from seem to have stopped carrying it or gone out of business.

Thanks.

Welcome Mr Fix,

You could try the Clerkenwell Screws Ltd for slotted screw. The chance of getting off the shelf mahogany mouldings would be very slim. I have a friend that works for a timber merchants in London, he does spindle work as a side business, if you are interested in his details let me know.

Thanks Paul, I'll bear you in mind. I had a mate at T.W. Parker that would run me up bits now and then but he left and they only want to do long runs these days.

No joy with Clerkenwell. I've tried most of the local ppl to me. I go into any hardware shops I pass and buy up their old stock if they have any laying around. Five years from now you'll be lucky to find a slotted woodscrew anywhere. Who'd have thought they would go out of fashion like that? :?

There are some imports around but they are no good for anything.

Hi,

I have just acquired a load of slotted screws (brass and steel) that I intend to hang on to, they are going to become rare. I think in an old house a slotted screw is the only thing to use.

Pete

^ No joy from sitebox either. I bought up Screwfix's remaining stock some years back.

I spoke to some bloke in Brum last year, who ran a factory. When I told him I was a restorer he knew what I was looking for straight away. Told me he hadn't made a slotted screw in the last five years. I have enough of all sizes to keep me going for about another ten years at the rate I go through them.

Any youngsters going through restoration and conservation courses now will be in for shock when they try to source the most basic sundry they'll need to set up in business on their own.

^ Fraid not. Screwsline are closing down. They said they would phone me if they have anything left over when they wind up.

A lot of those screw packs are no good to me. They are mainly stainless or sheradised. I need cabinet quality steel wire. A lot of web sites that advertise slotted only have a few odd sizes left. GKN made the best, but they stopped making them 25 years ago and have been selling off from stock ever since.

It's the end of an era.

Wow - I will treat my odd boxes of slotted screws with more respect :)

I suppose eventually somebody will start making them again (like Brusso) but at a £1 each?

I will start saving the ones I remove if they are reusable.

Rod

Last year, Mike Garnham had a load of slotted screws he was willing to give away... I can't remember whether he not he found a taker though?

^^ A pound? I bought a job lot from my local plumber's merchant (he hadn't sold one in years and had them in his shed out back) Included was a lovely box of 8" No 14s. He looked through the book and they were about £12.00 each at 1990 prices. :lol:

He sold me a wheelbarrow full of all the slotted screws he had for £100.00
Probably about £2000.00 worth retail. He was glad to see the back of them because he needed the space.

I just chucked a pile of these away recently :oops:

Had been taking up space in the workshop for years and I figured if I hadn't used any for so long then there was little prospect of ever using them. Didn't realise they were so hard to come by now !

Cheers, Paul :D

Mornin' Mr Fixit

I mentioned the lack of slotted screws to a chap who owns Tarkatools down here in rural Devon.

He said that slotted steel woodscrews are available, but you may have to order fairly large quantities.

They are not available through his website, so buying from him would involve a 'one-off' order, which means a minimum £100 plus carriage plus VAT. Depending on the minimum quantities he can get from his suppliers, it could well be more than that.

You might consider a bulk purchase to split between any interested forum members.

http://www.tarkatools.co.uk/default.asp is his website. Contact details are there, if you are interested.

I have no financial involvement with the business.

Cheers

Dave

I get along well with posi-drive and Phillips-headed screws, for most jobs.
But they look out of place on a nice piece of furniture. And brass butts really don't go with anything but slotted brass screws.

I must get down to Adams in Sutton Coldfield and check on their stocks. I had no idea things were getting this bad, all in the name of Pesky-progress!

John :)

You'll probably find it cheaper to by the machine they were made on and make your own. I worked at a place years ago that made slotted screws, I bet the machines cost nothing to buy nowadays - they were old BSA automatic machines.. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a warehouse full of the old things somewhere.

John

I must get down to Adams in Sutton Coldfield and check on their stocks.

If that fails, try Periams

http://www.iwestmidlands.co.uk/profile/ ... eriam-Ltd/

A proper place staffed by people who know what they are talking about, or at least it used to be.

Would not

You'd probably find the machines you used to use knocking out screws in India.

Cheers

Dave

Probably not the sort of quantities that you want but have you tried your local Homebase?

I saw some steel (could have been zinc plated though) slotted wood screws there, in packs of 25, or whatever, the other day.

Or even B&Q?

Back