Hello from Scotland [and perhaps soon to be Australia !]

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just discovered this site after searching for ways to sell my machines. I suspect I'll be doing more than that though: seems like a cool place to be.

So....I'm a keen cabinet maker and have been for many years. I have my own small workshop and usually use traditional hand cut construction using native hardwoods. But, not surprisingly, I break out with machines.

However, circumstances have changed/are changing and I'm in the early stages of downsizing the house short term, and probably moving to Australia longer term. When that happens I'm going to need lots of advice on native down-under timber! So, the plan is to sell off my machines and join a local Mans Shed which I have visited and can confirm has lots of bigger and better machines than I have :) And of course a community of like minded chaps who seem a great bunch.
I will retain my personal workshop for the hand work that requires concentration eg. marking out, hand cutting etc, and assembly.

Anyway, I'll take some photos of my furniture and post them in the appropriate place over the weekend, and get round to listing stuff for sale later. Although I'm in Scotland I travel down to the Yorkshire Dales regularly [every couple of weeks] and have relatives in Hull, and a van, so delivery will be on the cards :)

Looking forward to lots of interesting reading here.....

Tony

Hello Tony , welcome to ukw , not sure if you’re aware but we have members from all over inc Australia so you’re in the right place . Help advise pics of your work all welcome. However your move to down under is making me a little envious 😂 seriously though welcome 🤗

Welcome and congratulations on your impending move, presumably you can take some hand tools with you?
Otherwise, I was pleased to find that Axminster are really good at sending stuff overseas, and you can pay in whatever currency you want. Well it certainly worked for me in the States, I was pleasantly surprised at the relatively low cost of postage too!
Ian

I've just discovered this site after searching for ways to sell my machines. I suspect I'll be doing more than that though: seems like a cool place to be.

So....I'm a keen cabinet maker and have been for many years. I have my own small workshop and usually use traditional hand cut construction using native hardwoods. But, not surprisingly, I break out with machines.

However, circumstances have changed/are changing and I'm in the early stages of downsizing the house short term, and probably moving to Australia longer term. When that happens I'm going to need lots of advice on native down-under timber! So, the plan is to sell off my machines and join a local Mans Shed which I have visited and can confirm has lots of bigger and better machines than I have :) And of course a community of like minded chaps who seem a great bunch.
I will retain my personal workshop for the hand work that requires concentration eg. marking out, hand cutting etc, and assembly.

Anyway, I'll take some photos of my furniture and post them in the appropriate place over the weekend, and get round to listing stuff for sale later. Although I'm in Scotland I travel down to the Yorkshire Dales regularly [every couple of weeks] and have relatives in Hull, and a van, so delivery will be on the cards :)

Looking forward to lots of interesting reading here.....

Tony
Welcome from a small piece of Australia
It's a big place.
Do you have a site in mind?
And yes. We have some amazing timbers. Unfortunately some on the threatened species list.

Scotland. Looks an awesome place from some recent TV shows we've watched.
Our (tasmania) highland country reminds me of some of yours. Except it's walking only.

^^^yes, I'm planning on taking my hand tools out with me. I have some very nice Marples/Sorby boxwood chisels that I'd never part with, as well as the usual range of planes and other goodies :)

Location wise I'm still negotiating with the good lady. She is in Sydney which is impossible for me. I don't do cities.....
I'd really like Tasmania because my main hobby is caving and Tas has the best/deepest caves. But I'm informed that Tas is a place to visit, not live! Watch this space. But not too intently because I'm staying in the UK for a couple of years yet. i think ;)

^^^yes, I'm planning on taking my hand tools out with me. I have some very nice Marples/Sorby boxwood chisels that I'd never part with, as well as the usual range of planes and other goodies :)

Location wise I'm still negotiating with the good lady. She is in Sydney which is impossible for me. I don't do cities.....
I'd really like Tasmania because my main hobby is caving and Tas has the best/deepest caves. But I'm informed that Tas is a place to visit, not live! Watch this space. But not too intently because I'm staying in the UK for a couple of years yet. i think ;)
Sydney and Tasmania. Chalk and cheese.
But I'm not a city slicker.
Tasmania is cold so some say. The wind comes straight from the south pole.
It's small population means somewhat limited in speciality areas, but then we have our jems amongst the speciality.
Travel across to mainland can be extortion prices.
It's the lifestyle. You love it or hate it.
Many mainlanders move here then promptly move back.
But more stay and settle in and get used to our bracing climate

Consider Perth, Western Australia .... how could you resist a good Scottish name like that?! :)

Laid back life style. Big city features in a large country town (population around 2 mil). Best weather in Oz - summer 9 months of the year. Best timber in Oz - look up Jarrah and SheOak. Lively woodworking club and many Men Sheds (I think they started from here]. I cannot speak about caves, but there are many about 2 hours south of the city.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My next trip will be, I hope, fly into Perth and train across to Geelong [niece] then on to Sydney [the good woman], then on to Tas for caving.

I need to move house in Scotland first though :( The house moving stress is just starting to niggle......I have a lot of 'stuff' and I'm dreading the logicists of moving....

My next trip will be, I hope, fly into Perth and train across to Geelong [niece] then on to Sydney [the good woman], then on to Tas for caving.

I need to move house in Scotland first though :( The house moving stress is just starting to niggle......I have a lot of 'stuff' and I'm dreading the logicists of moving....
Same situation here, I am down to very few possessions indeed! It’s not too bad once you start.
1 keep
2 Bin
3 Charity shop
4 Sell
And just think, you’re kids will really thank you ( once you’ve gone)
Ian

Hi, I’m in Edinburgh (Scotland), good luck on the move!

If you plan to sell off equipment I’m looking for a bobbin sander like this one - but I can’t afford a new one - wonder if you have such a thing

Attachments

• IMG_6815.png
    IMG_6815.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sorry, no bobbin sander.....

The first, local move [hopefully to Glenrothes] isn't going well: I have been out bid on two houses and wasn't fast enough to even get a bid in on two others.......and time is running out because I have sold my house and only have 7 weeks left in it.

If you don't mind moving even further north, there are quite a few houses on the market and not selling instantly, up here north of Aberdeen. Several in our, not too isolated, village.

Back