Deck Repair - unusual size boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Towers

Reaction score
Hello, I am relatively new to the world of woodwork so i apologise if this is a stupid question.

The previous owner of our house laid a substantial deck about ten years ago. Some of the boards have rotted and broken but the underlying frame still seems in decent condition so I am looking to replace the boards.

They didn’t use specific grooved decking board but rather standard timber planks.

However the planks measure ~36mm deep x 220mm across. I can’t seem to find treated wood in those dimensions. As I said I’m pretty new to this. Is there a way to get treated wood which meets these specifications that I’m missing?

If you cannot track down boards of the size you need, and you don't wish to replace them in their entirety, ,then patch the rotten boards with ones taken from a specially selected area of the deck, Tidy up the area where you have removed the boards , to give a long continuous run, for new, different sized boards, to be fixed, Too thick, they can be housed out from underneath. Too thin they can sit on top of packers..

Four of your decking boards = 880mm, standard deck boards can be had in 148mm width, therefore six boards is so close that the gap between each board can be modified to suite. 148 x 6 = 888mm. Decking boards also available in 144 width, therefore 144 x 6 = 864mm many different ways forward.

Last edited:
Four of your decking boards = 880mm, standard deck boards can be had in 148mm width, therefore six boards is so close that the gap between each board can be modified to suite. 148 x 6 = 888mm. Decking boards also available in 144 width, therefore 144 x 6 = 864mm many different ways forward.
Thanks, ideally I want to keep the look the same but good fallback

If you cannot track down boards of the size you need, and you don't wish to replace them in their entirety, ,then patch the rotten boards with ones taken from a specially selected area of the deck, Tidy up the area where you have removed the boards , to give a long continuous run, for new, different sized boards, to be fixed, Too thick, they can be housed out from underneath. Too thin they can sit on top of packers..
Thanks Niall, will bare this in mind if I can’t find the right timber

Back