Decisions decisions.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :D
I think I've gone as far with the awvsl1000 as I can,I'm tired of the vibration,the toolrest always wiggling loose ,the lack of capacity and power. We've had some good times and its shown me how great turning wood is but I feel its time to move on.....For the last few weeks I've been looking at pictures of shiny shiny lathes on t'internet(its Loz's fault he said something in a post to me about am I upgrading soon, and after saying no,I went and looked at pictures of lovely big lathes and the seed was planted :lol: )...............

So I'm going to spend some money that I can't really afford to :shock: SWMBO isn't even complaining too much :shock: Currently I'm thinking Jet 3520B or one of the record maxis, I'm leaning towards the maxis slightly as they have the outboard turning attachments on them but which one :? The maxi 1 has the super handy swivel head but is only 1.5hp where as the maxi 2 looks even more solid has a 2hp motor but doesn't have a swivel head which means it needs more room to work on big stuff outboard from the end. So I'm not sure which direction to go :? Or is there something else out there for around 2k which I should consider?(If anyone has a spare used VB36 under their bed now would be a good time to tell me :lol: )

JT

The Jet has a sliding head and you can get an outboard bed which attaches in one of two positions on the tailstock end of the bed to give a greater capacity - as shown here.
IMHO the Jet (a Powermatic in drag) is much better built than the Record.
For example the handles on the Maxis are to my mind cheap and nasty.

I'd get the Jet every time (if I hadn't spent rather more on a Wivamac).

I agree with Pete.

I have a Jet1442 and my next lathe will be the 3250B because of the reputation is has as a Powermatic in America.

Brendan

JT

In this months woodturning mag (May ) in the classified section is this add

Wiva Mac DB1200 2HP vario Outboard

Turning attachment
Foot control switch
Excellent Condition
£2500.00

Tel John 01503 250601

Looks like the phone number is in Looe in Cornwall

Link to the tool post web page

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Lathes/ ... b1200.html

May be worth phoning for a chat , if it floats your boat :lol:

Sounds a bit on the high side price wise unless it comes with lots of goodies :p or is new

€ 3 091.20 = £2 769.66

On the VB front , this was unsold on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hegner-VB36-Maste ... 0465631999

Allen

johnny.t.":3gba20lt said:
So I'm going to spend some money that I can't really afford to

as a compromise which involves spending less cash i upgraded from the m900 (essentially the same as the avsl1000) to the absl1200 which is about 800 notes

its 2hp , electronic variable speed, and cast iron stand so it doesnt vibrate.

theres no swivel head but you can do 18" dia over the bed (Or 30 with the outboard turning attachment) , or of course you can slide the head to the end of the bed and do as big as you dare with a free standing tool rest.

the only downside that i can see is that the variable speed is as DC brushless rather than an inverted 3 phase - so it may last less well - but then again replacement ought to be easy and axi have excellent customer support.

700129_l.jpg

Hi Johnny,

I'm with CambournePete on this one. Jet over Record EVERY time. There have been so many quality issues with Record stuff on the forums that I wouldn't go near. I've got the Jet 1442 as well and it's great. My next upgrade would also most likely be to one of the larger Jets.

Cheers

Richard

I hadn't noticed that either, until I was tempted to bid! Lucky spotted it before i did!

Hate to know what the shipping would of been!

JT,

I've had a little try on Paul's Vicmarc, it's a lovely machine. I've got a perform CCBL but if ever I'm in a position to change I already know which one it will be.

Steve :D

Blister":1wh6c67m said:
Wiva Mac DB1200 2HP vario Outboard

Turning attachment
Foot control switch
Excellent Condition
£2500.00
Sounds a bit on the high side price wise unless it comes with lots of goodies :p or is new

€ 3 091.20 = £2 769.66
The bowl turning attachment is another €256 and you need to add VAT, so new is about £3540, plus the foot switch.
£2500 doesn't sound too bad over all.

Thanks for the advice everyone 8)

Allen,you don't miss a thing do you :D That VB would be great but a trek to Northern Ireland would be too much for me and my old Landy and trailer :cry: Plus if he wasn't willing to let it go for 2K(reserve wasn't met) he must want a fair bit more. As for the Wivamac whats so good about them? They don't look as heavily built as some of the other big lathes,although with a price tag as big as they have they must be a bit special?

Pete,brendan and Richard, the Jet is very tempting, the only off putting thing is the style of the outboard attachment,having to drag the headstock down the end and then(more importantly) needing to leave lots of room at the right hand end, which is where I'm limited on room :cry: (although if I sort my life out and get the new underground workshop sorted that problem would go away) Its still in the mix though.

Paul, I hadn't really considered a Vicmarc, If I got a 175 I would need to get the outboard attachment and that makes the price creep up and I think I would like a bit more than 14" over the bed. Wish I could afford a VL300 shortbed, I'd have one of them in an instant :)

BSM, I looked at the AWVSWL1200 but I think that may have me wanting to upgrade again in the future,which I don't want to do.

I know about the issues with the nova lathes from record but I still feel drawn toward the maxis. Theres a review of the maxi 2 from woodturning
here which is very positive and they do have a 5 year guarantee.
So it still seems to be a toss up between that and the Jet. I'm not going to hurry,I may give it a few weeks to see what else comes along second hand.

Cheers JT

loz":3eu6xnme said:
Johnny,

Now I love record, and have record lathe, dust extrator and Bandsaw, but re the maxi2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozP-67rI24&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHNvyVbQ38g&feature=related

I know Robbie personally - he suffered for weeks trying to get record to sort this out, In the end he pushed it back at them and got a Vicmarc 175.

Loz / JT

Need to be careful with this

As there are 3 types of M33x3.5 shafts :shock: I know it sounds crazy but on Axminsters site it lists the following

T38 - M33 x 3.5mm
T38W - M33 x 3.5mm(Woodfast)
T38PRO - M33 x 3.5mm(4224, 3520A)

Link to the page is here

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -23301.htm

Then click on specification section :wink:

Allen, are you saying its a possibility this guy had not quite the right thread in his chuck? I must agree that you couldn't see the wobble on the video of just the thread.

JT

Its not just the chuck wobble - the spindle itself was bent.

johnny.t.":1f7l31dh said:
Allen, are you saying its a possibility this guy had not quite the right thread in his chuck? I must agree that you couldn't see the wobble on the video of just the thread.

JT

Yes , It look like the wrong chuck not tightening onto the thread correctly

I to did not see a problem on the first video , you can see some flaws on the machining but the thread and outer edge of the spindle look fine to me run out wise

:p

Ask Boycie39 , we know all about chucks and spindles don't we :wink: :wink:

Blister":1cvk35kz said:
I to did not see a problem on the first video , you can see some flaws on the machining but the thread and outer edge of the spindle look fine to me run out wise

Hard to see looking at the threads, but watch the inside recess of the spindle moving up and down.

Back