ziggerdy man

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if such a simple object requires a WIP but I will post one anyway. A simple moving wooden toy made for the first born child of my wife's cousin.

First plane a suitable piece of walnut (american black)

DSCN7385.jpg

Then drill two rows of holes using the new drill table. Positioning of these holes is critical to the function of the toy.

DSCN7407.jpg

Next cut some beech dowel to just the right length using a simple cutting guide

DSCN7406.jpg

Smooth with Stanley #80 Scraper Plane (Hock blade)

DSCN7408.jpg

Cut a wee man on the scroll saw. This is birch ply which I later replaced with a solid beech one.

DSCN7388.jpg

Finish with Danish oil (6 coats), features on the man drawn with permanent Fineliner pen

DSCN7439crop.jpg

As you can imagine both the movement and noise ( a lovely clackety sound ) are interesting and grab the attention of babies and adults alike ;)
Not shown is a small piece of wood attached to the back to hold the board away from the wall when hung - the man will fall off if the board if held vertically.

Design taken from Working Wooden Toys by Marion Millet.

Cheers

Andy

The holes should be centered 23/4" apart with the last one on the right 13/8". The other critical dimension is of the man, from finger tip to opposite armpit 21/2" from top of head to either armpit 21/4". 6mm dowels were used.

Andy
IMPORTANT EDIT:-

The spacing above is the VERTICAL spacing, the two rows need to be 21/2" apart

Great example of a ziggerdy man. We sold several of these last year and could have sold a lot more. Will make a lot more this year. Everybody said what great fun they were. Just shows things do not have to complicated to be fun.

Mike

Hi Andy, We are in the Orne in a little village called Bocquencé 61550. From your postcode we are about an hour and a quarter from you. Are there many more Normandy woodworkers on this forum.

Nice to hear from you

Mike

Mike, there are a few but as I am an infrequent contributor these days I forget who some of them are. stef is local to me here in calvados and there are one or two with holiday homes who visit

As not everyone completes their location details it is hard to do a search.

Andy

dedee":1bhk6dv0 said:
I am not sure if such a simple object requires a WIP but I will post one anyway.
The so-called "simplest" WIPs are my favourite type at the moment. They are very useful and inspirational to us beginners!

Lovely item!

Back