Zero cost temporary bandsaw outfeed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
This seemed to fit the tips and shopmade tools heading.

I have a small bandsaw mainly used for bowl blanks and occasional bandsaw boxes. Yesterday I wanted to resaw some long but light sections recovered from 2 old door frames. How to support the far end?

This being a one off job I set a budget of zero, clamped a paint roller in a workmate bench, put it round the other side of the saw table and got cutting. Worked fine, at least for my diy needs.

Have the roller filled with preservative, get your sealing done as you cut 🤪🙃🤪

I have something similar based on a workmate. Var hight outfeed does both bandsaw and tablesaw
P1010001.JPG
Those workmate clones are so cheap I also use them as machine stands. One for the grinder, one for the thicknesser and that outfeed one. I could nor get the materials to build stands at the price. Mind you as small benches to work on they suck.
Regards
John

That's nice - took more than 120 seconds though :) I might do similar if it gets to be a regular job. I agree on ersatz workmates - my grinder sits on one (bolted to MDF, which has a 3x4 chunk of wood underneath longditudinally so it gets clamped between the jaws). Before I had a bandsaw my jig saw stand could go on instead, or an old washing machine top fitted the same way just to give a clean light assembly/soldering workspace.

I have something similar based on a workmate. Var hight outfeed does both bandsaw and tablesaw
View attachment 121054
Those workmate clones are so cheap I also use them as machine stands. One for the grinder, one for the thicknesser and that outfeed one. I could nor get the materials to build stands at the price. Mind you as small benches to work on they suck.
Regards
John

I agree that you couldn’t construct anything similar for the cost of these benches. I actually have 4 of them, bought in B&Q years ago, when they were £10 each and got 20% off on a promotion. For £8 each they have been a bargain. I have a portable bench setup that uses 2 of them, with a section of flush panel, eggbox door clamped as a bridge.

saw a similar idea for a rolling outfeed, seated on a workmate, a few days ago, basically consisting of a large pipe rolling on a smaller pipe, supported on either side and clamped into the workmate. possibly this would be a bit stronger than a paint roller, but I really like the idea of a paint roller for speed, cost and convinience.

I've clamped a bit of board vertically into a workmate before as support for some long pieces to be cut on a mitre saw before, a good quick fix which makes an awkward job more managable

I made one of these a couple of months ago, zero cost if you have the bits laying about I suppose, which I happened to have.
Used an offcut of down pipe as the main roller, and simplified the design a bit, makes an excellent outfeed roller for my BS250 stand.

I have never got on with roller stands as unless they are set up perfectly at 90 degrees to the direction of the wood, they tend to steer. I prefer a good flat surface or the roller ball type stands

I tend to agree with that. I have a couple of cheap folding roller stands and after a few times having to stop the bandsaw mid cut and readjust I gave up using one as an outfeed. Not so bad as an infeed. Happy with a flat surface.
Regards
John

Back