Zero Clearance insert for Draper Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
As part of my dust extraction improvement I decided to make a zero clearance insert. I had some suitable thickness perspex on hand so that's what I used. Cut to size on the table table, needed to mill a little clearance for the blade as it doesn't fully retract below the surface so took out a little bit at the router table. Used the saw to cut the slot. Very pleased with how that turned out.

The perspex looks a little rough as it is painted on the back and that is scratched, doesn't bother me though.

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_114542 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20180911_114542 - Copy.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20180911_114549.jpg
    IMG_20180911_114549.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 100
Nice!

I did the same last week and it certainly improved the dust extraction. Made mine out of plywood and cut the complete slot on the router table. I used ply that was slightly thicker than it needed to be and kept taking a tenth of a millimetre of the bottom until it was flush with the table top. Also drilled a 3mm hole in the top to insert a drill bit or pin so I can lift it out.

It could be even better if I'd used the crown guard but I find that being in the way so I don't use it. :oops:

I wanted mine to be compatible with the riving knife and crown guard. That being said, I would like to get hold of a second riving knife that I can cut down for use with a sled or other jigs as the crown guard does look like it will get in the way for some projects.

I'm pretty sure my riving knife is the same height as the top of the blade. I don't use a sled on this table but I do cut tenons with a homemade jig which slides over the riving knife fine.

Really want a new TS but it seems hard to get the other half to 'approve' :lol:

The riving knife on this saw is higher than the blade as the it has the slot for the crown guard on it. Most of the time I will be using the guard so it's not an issue but it would be nice to have the option.

I wonders about this and then thought it'll do a better job to fit a big mount underneath attached to dust extraction. If I want zero clearance I'll use a sled.

The dust extraction is pretty good on this saw, especially after a bit of fettling with some tape and foam. The only culprit now is the dust that is thrown off the blade. The crown guard helps with much of that and I am hoping that the zero clearance will concentrate suction around the blade even further to reduce dust even more. Since I had the material on hand it was worth a try anyway and there is the added bonus of giving extra support to small pieces.
When I was making a project last week I had to take a thin slice off a piece of wood, the main body of the piece was well supported so no trouble there but the big gap around the blade caused some of the offcut to get sucked down inside the saw. It got stuck in the blade housing and bounced around while the saw was running. While it is unlikely to cause any damage I wasn't happy with it being there and removing it meant taking the side panels off and a lot of faffing with pliers to grab it. Hopefully now that will be impossible to happen again.

Back