Zebrano

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Established Member
Reaction score
Or is it Zebranio, anyway, managed to get hold of a sizable amount of this timber at a good price sold as kiln dried but still wet(ish), so seasoned for approx 6 months in the workshop.
Turned a bowl, looked really nice with the contrasting grain, three days inside and large crackes started to appear in the rim (gutted)
Brought some blanks inside to try to dry them slowly and cracks appering all over the place, hope they will machine out.
Is this wood prone to cracking in this way or am I doing something wrong, never had this prob as bad with any other wood.
Will try sealing with that peroxide stuff or whatever its called (got some somewhere)
Any ideas gratfully recieved.

i turned quite a sizeable bowl from zebrano that was also sold as kiln dried and it ended up going oval by about 3/4 inch... but it makes it a bit more interesting than it was i suppose... but yes, i did have a bit of trouble with the surface checking after i brought it inside, and then the distortion meant it was too bad to out it on the lathe again and clean it up so i've taken to part turning all blanks now

I had the same problem with cracking in a small turned bowl. Don't know the answer I'm afraid; I only had that one tiny bit and vowed never again :oops: Has anyone read Kevin Ley's article in F&C about the Zebrano table yet? Any info there? I've mislaid my copy somewhere :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Jim

Might I suggest that this is posted in or transferred to the Turning section.

I think you'll get more joy from CC and the others.

Cheers
Neil

Jim,

Almost certainly the problem is with the high moisture content of the wood. I have turned several bowls in zebrano, the largest approx. 13"x3" has been in use as a fruit bowl for some while, all without any problem, but the wood was certainly quite dry when I turned it.

I also acquired a piece about 11"diax3" which had been waxed all over! Put it on the lathe and found that underneath all that wax it was very wet. So removed all the wax, re-sealed the end grain and it's now in store to dry - being 3" thick I am looking more at 3-4 years rather than a few months!

You lucky fella getting all that zebrano for a good price but I think a fair bit of patience is going to be the order of the day now! As I see it you have a choice - wait for it to dry, or turn it down to about an inch or so thick near to your desired finished shape and wait not quite so long for it to dry! In either case it is important to seal the exposed end grain (only).

As the moisture dries far more quickly away from the end grain than from inside the wood it is this(as well as tensions and stresses released when the wood is turned) which causes the checks/splits to occur. Hot wax is traditionally use for sealing but I use undiluted pva adhesive which I find satisfactory. Some people use the microwave oven for drying small pieces, but that's another story - and may come with certain risks to your general well-being if you decide to try it in the kitchen!

Trev.

Thanks for the replies chaps.
Trev, have machined the dodgy bowl in to a platter and all seems well at the moment, have also ripped the timber in to 4 inch thick planks and stored under cover with battens in between each plank.
Will leave alone for a while and see what happens.
Thanks again.

Back