Zebrano and Silver Ring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I made a Zebrano bangle for Blister's turning challenge. SWMBO decided to have a 'significant' birthday so I made this matching ring.
Heat bent Zebrano superglued onto a silver 'spool' custom made for me by a friend, then TURNED to final form on the lathe, smoothed down to P600 and friction polished.
The silver was then wet-and-dried to P1000 and polished with Autosol.
The customer is happy 8)
DSC_0242.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0242.jpg
    DSC_0242.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 975
That's very classy, any chance you did some process images.

Some outstanding questions:-
1. How thick was Zebrano stock when you worked it
2. How did you work it
3. How did you Bond it

Thanks Chas. Sorry, no WIP but I'll add some more detail tomorrow, bed in a minute, up for work at 04:45.

In answer to your questions Chas;

CHJ":fqn7vys2 said:
1. How thick was Zebrano stock when you worked it
I found some Zebrano pen blanks and tried to cut a nice thin veneer, but I was too idle to change my bandsaw blade, so I had to thickness the resultant strip on the pillar drill between a sanding drum and a clamped pine block. I stopped when it looked about right, as you can see the strip ended up at 0.75mm.
DSC_0248.jpg

2. How did you work it
I made a quick and dirty clamp to hold a steel rule down firmly on the Zebrano so I could cut a couple of 6mm wide strips without slipping. I cut them diagonally to make the most of the grain/pattern when wrapped around the ring.
DSC_0254.jpg

After reading various bits and bobs on bending and watching a video by Ian Norbury I thought it didn't actually look as difficult as I had at first imagined. I put the strips in water overnight, then next day I held a bent stainless steel rod [16mm] in a vice which was then heated with a blowtorch. Before I started bending one of the wet strips I had a go with one of the dry triangular off-cuts, it bent so easily and well that I wished I hadn't bothered wetting at all. You can see it on the left in the first picture.
DSC_0245.jpg

3. How did you Bond it
The curve of the bent strips [I only used one] was slightly tighter than that of the ring. Before bending I cut a long taper on either end with a small flat chisel, these then 'mated' when in place. I used some past-it Zap-a-Gap to stick the Zebrano to the ring, and the tapers to each other [splice the ends].
DSC_0252.jpg

The actual TURNING came right at the end, after the glue had set I mounted the ring on a softwood mandrel, in the right orientation so the strip wouldn't unwind, then took the very lightest skim to get rid of any squeeze-out and to flatten back the join.
Very fortunately, the pattern of the wood makes it very difficult to find the join. The external surface of the ring was finished with friction polish, the sides were wet-and-dry'd to P1000, the softwood mandrel was skimmed down a bit and used as a rotary hone to polish the inside with Solvol Autosol. The sides were polished too.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but you did ask.

Attachments

• DSC_0248.jpg
    DSC_0248.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 868
  • DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 868
  • DSC_0254.jpg
    DSC_0254.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 868
  • DSC_0252.jpg
    DSC_0252.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 868
Thanks for taking the trouble with the WIP images and explanation, so less daunting a process to attempt when you can see how.

Back