!!!You've got to laugh!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProShop

Established Member
Reaction score
Well!! after weeks of deliberation and viewing several saw tables I finally made a decision and ordered the Record TSTP250 after visiting Record HQ for a demo. Got a phone call the day before informing me the carrier would be delivering the next day, Will it come on a tail lift truck?? yes Sir the driver will offload it for you. Great!. Next day arrives, 11am door bell rings, it,s the saw table, Driver says I have good news for you I have your pallet :D . Brill I says :D . Driver says unfortunately I have no tail lift :( Sh%$ I thought, how much does it weigh, about 230 Kilos says the driver, Will it unpack in bits he asks, no idea says me :shock: he opens the curtains on the truck and there it is all wrapped in black plastic, on a pallet. To cut the story short here's what happened. Unwrapped the plastic to find several cardboard boxes plus one big wooden crate strapped to the pallet. So I get my tools out and open the wooden crate and inside the wooden crate is a big cardboard box, open the box and everything is like a flat pack, so I have an old sack barrow with cast iron wheels (honest) and me and the driver empty the box bit by bit and wheel it into the garage. ( Why did I talk myself into a table saw with CAST IRON?? :D ) even the extension tables are cast. It took over an hour to unload :) The driver was absolutely superb, top bloke.
I'll let you know how I get on with the assembly :D :D
John

Hi John (Fixit)

Yeah I can just picture your face when you realise that you've got to get it off the van without the use of a tailgate lift. Now just be glad that it was not assembled prior to delivery. I am very interested in your opinions on this saw, both the good and the bad, as at the moment this is top of my list. Both the cast iron and the price are very attractive to me. So the more that I hear about the performance the better from my point of view.
Anyway I am pleased for you that you got it inside without mishap. And of course there is nothing like doing an assembly to understand how it all goes together incase you ever need to take it apart. Anyway as I said, I will be very pleased to hear how it performs.

Best of luck

John

I had similar problems with SIP last month, the driver had no equipment for offloading nor even a trolley.

I wonder what would happen if no cooperation by both parties took place, would the driver just push it off is deck!!!!,

Perhaps some brave soul will try this approach and let us know the outcome.

With regard to your saw I hope everything sets up well and I will be interested to hear your later comments.

It's a pet peeve of mine as well. Not just with tools but with everything. We had a large fridge freezer delivered. 1 man, middle of the week when I was at work and then he complained that my wife was no help. It wasn't even free delivery. :evil:

I've got into the habit of supporting my local tool shop if I can. Service is second to none. Delivery to suit, even well after 5 o'clock. 2 men, tail lift, sack trucks etc. put it right in place. The machines I've bought lately (Jet) seem to be fixed price everywhere so the cost was the same. Even so, service like that needs to be considered in the price and is worth an extra few quid.

Enjoy the new machine.

I've had similar experiences. I witnessed a delivery by a carrier firm used by Screwfix a year ago. The driver was throwing the packages around the back of the van until he found mine. There were some calor gas heaters in his way and these had the living hell kicked out of them, thrown on my drive and then, when he'd unloaded my package which was a sanding machine, those heaters, bent, chipped and not looking happy were thrown back into the van! As it was my sanding machine was damaged and bent, surprise, surprise and had in the end to go back. A 'polite' phonecall to Screwfix to send a refund and not a replacement and got the sander from Axminster instead, great delivery, no 'driver with a hangover' type problems at all! :roll: :wink:

Have lots of fun with your new saw :)

Back