You've Got Mail?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Can any of the computer buffs help me out here please?
Is there a piece of software that will integrate with my email program (MS OutLook), NOT Outlook Express and flash an icon on my screen when I have waiting incoming mail?
I have seen this in several movies where a revolving 'e' sign comes up, even when the mal program is not open.
This would save me checking in needlessly.
Regards
Martin

Martin,
which version of Outlook do you have.

In Outlook 2003 Tools>Options>Preferences>Email Options>Advanced Email Options you can set up Desktop Alerts. You can also set an Envelope Icon to appear on the toolbar.

Andy

Andy is of course right, although I have this option switched off as the envelope thing seems unable to differentiate between junk mail and stuff I want, even though the program can differentiate and puts the rubbish in the junk mail folder (unless of course there's a further setting I'm missing!)

If you're sitting at the computer I find the window that pops up to be more useful, and to be honest I leave the computer with the 'Outlook Today' screen showing all the time anyway.

All academic really as my email isn't working at the moment anyway!

Terry Smart":3tr27uc1 said:
my email isn't working at the moment anyway!

Terry,

Your website doesn't appear to be working either. I get a "connection refused by remote end" error when I click on the link in your signature.

Regards

Gary

If you use something like mailwasher then it tells you when you've got new mail.
It's most important and useful function though it to let you preview (in text-only form) and filter your email before you download it so if you get something you don't want you can delete it off the mail server before downloading the emails you do want, saving bandwidth and helping to avoid viruses and dodgy links. It's free for use with one email account and cheap for more than one. I've used it for several years, but there are others out there.

Cheers,

Pete

Nothing's working here Gary! Think I'll go pack up for the day!

Seriously though, thanks for pointing that out, hopefully it's being sorted out.

If you use MSN messenger and download an add on called messenger plus, this product will give you a notification that a new mail has arrived even if MS Outlook is not running. I use it and it works well.

A word of warning thou? - During the installation of messenger plus there is a sponsors screen. If you click the wrong button you the sponsor programs will install. Also, if you use MS Antispyware, this program reports messenger plus as a spyware program due to the fact that sponsor programs are bundled in the installer. If you can you can get the MS antispyware to ignore it.

I have used Messenger plus for about 4 years with no problem there are other features that are worth looking at if you use MSN messenger alot.

The link for messenger plus is http://www.msgplus.net/

Terry Smart":1ytsc54f said:
Nothing's working here Gary! Think I'll go pack up for the day!

Seriously though, thanks for pointing that out, hopefully it's being sorted out.

Terry,

It is now 11.40 am on Thursday, and your site still appears to be down.

Just though you might like to know.

Hurry up and get it fixed please mate, as I want to buy some of your dark oak stain, and I wanted to look for more information on your website! I would hate to have to buy some of Rustins or Liberon simply because your website has gone wonky!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary

Yep, I know the site is still down and my email isn't working either.

I'm in touch with the people hosting the site and email server and they are working on it. There seems to be a major problem somewhere but hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Meanwhile, feel free to ask me about the stain, probably best by pm rather than divert this thread.

Hi

In case anyone is interested, our website is now up and running again. Email too, although I'm not sure that anything sent in the last couple of days will get through.

Terry Smart":1zhgkxax said:
Hi

In case anyone is interested, our website is now up and running again. Email too, although I'm not sure that anything sent in the last couple of days will get through.

Terry...depends on where the fault lay. Chances are that everyones mail to you was kept on their own respective ISP's outgoing mail server...if it was unable to deliver to your system. So once your problem was fixed then the emails should come through OK

Hi

Have a look at this little programme.

http://www.bettasoft.net/mailalert/index.html

Its freeware and designed as an add-in for Microsoft Outlook 2000 / XP / 2003.

When new e-mail arrives, Mail Alert will display a non-intrusive desktop alert containing essential information from the e-mail received. Now you can avoid the constant shuffle between work and e-mail, thus boosting your productivity.

Steve :)

you can always down load a free version of incredimail, and that will tell you when a new mail comes in.
you can have a butler or a dog tell you.
paul :wink:

Back