Youtube !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else getting fed up with youtube ?

Now not content with making you view 1 advert that you have no intrest in

Now you have to view 2 adverts together !!

BORING

At least YT gives YOU the option, unlike the BBC and their Director General. Watch it or don't watch it, pay your subs or watch the adverts...the more on-demand content available the better, at least it doesn't make us watch bloody Eastenders.

I use adblock pro - it works most of the time. I think youtube does things with certain users to see if they can work around it, but I see little compared to what one would see without it (ABP said what I said here - that if you're seeing advertisements while using an ad blocker, it's likely google has you in a group of people that they're experimenting with, and nothing will eliminate all ads).

Realistically, a bigger problem on youtube now is that nearly all of the content is just an excuse to talk about paid content or to provide links to earn affiliate income.

There was a suggestion to look at a low cost anvil on amazon in the hand tool forum. It's a legitimate suggestion. The post provided a link to a youtube content provider showing an array of tests for the amazon anvil disgused as a helpful discussion. The reality is that videos like that appear over and over (first the intro, then the test, then how to fettle the amazon anvil, etc) so that the content provider can try to get affiliate income driving buyers to amazon to buy the anvil. That's an economic reality, but it's also an incentive for youtube to promote those types of videos more than videos that have little to no ad revenue or link-through revenue generation veiled as "Reviews".

Is that illegal? No. What's dishonest about it? It creates the illusion that the content provider was actually interested enough in the item being pushed to buy it and try it when in reality, they were just looking for something they could get other people to buy from amazon by clicking on the link in their description. Meanwhile, the world of options that doesn't gain link-through revenue is ignored, showing a biased view to "friends" who tune in to see the video. A very one-sided friendship, often including patreon begging beyond that.
Yeah that's spot on, I rarely find a video that isn't an advert disguised as a review

Surely any half decent YouTube contributor does it at considerable personal investment of both time and money. This is then offset by however they make money from YouTube, again a facility that costs money to provide massive storage and infrastructure. This is paid for buy advertising and subscription revenue. So is it unreasonable to inflict adverts on those who choose not to subscribe? Even those who moan about the BBC Licence fee accept that doing away with it should involve the BBC having to get revenue from advertising like every other broadcaster.

Surely any half decent YouTube contributor does it at considerable personal investment of both time and money. This is then offset by however they make money from YouTube, again a facility that costs money to provide massive storage and infrastructure. This is paid for buy advertising and subscription revenue. So is it unreasonable to inflict adverts on those who choose not to subscribe? Even those who moan about the BBC Licence fee accept that doing away with it should involve the BBC having to get revenue from advertising like every other broadcaster.
All you have to do with regard to the BBC licence fee is tell the BBC, through their website, that you no longer watch BBC, use no iPlayer and that you don't watch any other live TV. They will send you a letter thanking you for the information and inform you that they will make a check in 2 years time. I am never buying another TV licence.

John

Adverts on YouTube? What are you talking about? ;)

Have Adblock+, Ghostery and Privacy Badger installed, and not sure which one blocks the ads, but it works like a charm! No ads on YT, no ads on news sites, nada!

Sorry, but nothing in life is free. If you are not paying the vendor then you are the revenue stream.

YouTube users upload more than 500 hours of fresh video per minute, YouTube revealed at recent press events. That works out to 30,000 hours of new content per hour, and 720,000 hours of new content per day.

This all sits on computers in data centres across the globe, this is so you don't have to wait for the video to load, anyone then has been using the internet or YouTube/vimio etc for more than ten years will remember the delays in videos starting and stopping while being played.

Adverts are to allow the myriad of videos on the many different subjects, and not removing them after x days, this has to be paid for some how. I for one are happy to have access to this content when I want it and don't want to pay a monthly subscription. This I wait the five second the advert and then click the skip advert button.

Sorry but this is the way they make money, and yes they make a lot of money, far more than they should, but that I the way of the world.

Not only Youtube, but most media suffers from a surfeit of adverts. I can understand their dilemma as the traditional media have seen declining advertising revenues as the number of media platforms have grown.

Offsetting lost revenue with lower prices and more ads filling the screen or page is ultimately a losing strategy. Bluntly there is too much media chasing to little advertising revenue. Advertising is displacing original content.

Historically, printed and limited TV media were able to thrive (some anyway) through advertising and cover prices. This model was broken 10-15 years ago.

Marketeers now target potential customers more directly, and the public are increasingly disinclined to pay access fees (subscriptions or pay per view).

The media will increasingly become the preserve of the few organisation which can be profitable, or an egotistical expensive hobby, or those for whom media profile is supportive of their other principal business activities.
Adverts on YouTube? What are you talking about? ;)

Have Adblock+, Ghostery and Privacy Badger installed, and not sure which one blocks the ads, but it works like a charm! No ads on YT, no ads on news sites, nada!
I watch YouTube mostly through my Amazon Firestick and I am unsure if adblockers will work with my TV. Not a smart TV. So I have to put up with ads I can't skip over. No big deal.

John

YouTube users upload more than 500 hours of fresh video per minute, YouTube revealed at recent press events. That works out to 30,000 hours of new content per hour, and 720,000 hours of new content per day.

This all sits on computers in data centres across the globe, this is so you don't have to wait for the video to load, anyone then has been using the internet or YouTube/vimio etc for more than ten years will remember the delays in videos starting and stopping while being played.

Adverts are to allow the myriad of videos on the many different subjects, and not removing them after x days, this has to be paid for some how. I for one are happy to have access to this content when I want it and don't want to pay a monthly subscription. This I wait the five second the advert and then click the skip advert button.
You are talking here about paying Google for providing the service.
I think that most of the other replies here are talking about payment to the content creator.
These are 2 separate issues.
I have no objection to paying either by sitting through a few adverts, although the quantity of adverts is becoming excessive recently.
What I object to is a bloke in a workshop full of expensive tools that a large proportion of his viewers probably couldn't afford (and many of the tools have been gifted to him in return for exposure anyway) constantly begging you to join his Patreon and pay him directly for making the videos.

I don't really have a problem with someone being a shill. I prefer they disclose it rather than hiding it in mice type or failing to mention it at all (as is the case with a lot of paid promotion junk where the seller not only gets junk from someone for free, but off the record of youtube, gets a flat fee to show whatever they're shilling. A couple of other video makers outed this by offering popular channels money to pimp their product and receiving forms in response that showed their payment terms for fee plus revenue sharing for items sold - as in, it wasn't entrapment reporting someone for taking money).

I will watch a channel that is forthright about paid promotion. Most of their non-paid videos tend to be genuine and the others are humorous often meeting the terms of the paid promotion rather than lying about the motive for the video. When I see someone doing a paid promotion video and not disclosing it, or with a string of product "demo" videos or tip videos where only items with link through revenue are shown, then I leave a stinky comment in a video and unsubscribe. To me, that's a lack of disclosure. If you watch a video and you know the method of revenue was chosen first and the item second, you know that it's vastly different than digging out something someone had for 10 years and linking places to buy it.

As far as entitlement, if you make videos, you're entitled to try to make money on them. I'm entitled to point out when someone isn't disclosing it to try to improve the balance of legitimate videos vs. people farming viewers. This is drastically different than someone just turning on advertisements to make a few bucks - it's an undisclosed feeling of entitlement, usually with a fake friendly ("i'm being helpful to you sharing what I know because I'm such a good person") persona.

The quality of the content was a lot better when there wasn't really any way to make money other than ad revenue, but the bottom dropped out and "advisory" services for channels hoping to get a slice of revenue made most of what's out there uniform and crappy. Very well produced high volume garbage.

Haven't seen adverts for years on YT, thanks to APB and now uBlock, my main issue is smart tv's not able to use such blocking facilities. There's PiHole for blocking ads before it even hits browsers of any kind on the entirety of your home network - PiHole. I really need to look into it as my kids getting slammed with ads while they watch YT on TV mostly, not on ad-blocked PCs.

I have physically cut my aerial cables, so no more "TV" in my house :D Over xmas watched some tv over at my parents - my god the adverts - 20minutes of every hour of any useful viewing is loaded with ads. Noped out real quick and went back to over-eating and watching stuff on ad-less YT.

Last edited:
You are talking here about paying Google for providing the service.
I think that most of the other replies here are talking about payment to the content creator.
These are 2 separate issues.
I have no objection to paying either by sitting through a few adverts, although the quantity of adverts is becoming excessive recently.
What I object to is a bloke in a workshop full of expensive tools that a large proportion of his viewers probably couldn't afford (and many of the tools have been gifted to him in return for exposure anyway) constantly begging you to join his Patreon and pay him directly for making the videos.
I just switch off my hearing and engage my begging filter.
Although if I start my painting channel I shall probably be a target for Patreon.
Still, I am naive enough to believe content is King and quality is Queen.
I didn't cut my aerial; I just blanked off the socket should they ever get a warrant to check!

John

Last edited:
I didn't cut my aerial; I just blanked off the socket should they ever get a warrant to check!

John
You don't need to cut the cable or blank off the socket.
You don't require a license unless you watch or record live TV

My mum just asked me what channel BBC iPlayer was on. I had to explain it's not a TV channel. She also never turns the TV pages past the ones that have the first five channels on and then complain there's nothing on TV.

My dad had a video recorder for about 4 years. One evening when I visited he wanted to record a program, so he started to record it and left the show playing on the TV.

I asked him why he didn't turn the tv off or change the channel.

"You can do that?" he said.

For years he thought you had to leave the TV show on so the vcr could pick up the signal.

Loved him to bits bless him :)

Back