YouTube to introduce licensing for creative content

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksDad

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just seen it light up Twitter overnight that YouTube plan to restrict who can post videos for certain topics to enhance their offering for creative / learning content (although some are saying this is to satisfy advertisers that the right type of channels are used to promote their products and for YouTube to increase revenue). Clicking through and reading I found...

Apparently there will be teams of industry experts assembled to assist with the licensing process which will include
- Industry professionals
- Nominated experts by key advertisers / ad agencies to advise on PR, image + fashion
- Diversity & Inclusion panel so that YouTube videos 'reflect the world our viewers see'
- Merchandising
- Affiliate Marketing

(I did note that they haven't included any health & safety experts, which is a shame as this is critical for woodworking as we know)

There's also rumours that YouTube want to use this to force creators how they present their videos and provide more revenue streams / commercial content for them
- Videos without people showing their faces will be banned
- Videos must include music
- Thumbnails will include interactive sponsor content
- Some videos will still have ads even with YouTube Premium depending on the video sponsor
- Sponsors which try to encourage viewers to engage with other creative / learning platforms outside of YouTube will be banned (how will the creators manage without their Squarespace / Skilshare sponsorship?!)
- YouTube will do more to entice creators who don't take sponsorships to take them, as ad/sponsor free content doesn't help them gain more advertisers & sponsors

Interesting times ahead for YouTube. I hope this doesn't lead to all the small fun channels disappearing and it will be interesting to see which channels make the cut

Last edited:
this sounds like fascism to me, I hope they don't ban videos without faces because I'm planning on uploading some.

Well that stinks. I been binge viewing my two favorite pet otters and some goofy dog that looks like a huge Cotten ball who loves everybody and everything. And who could forget the adventures of Za Zu and Walle the German short hair pointer. But I do get hit up with business insurance adds…tons of them.

Latest posts

Back