YouTube again - some people never learn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcb1962

Established Member
Reaction score

Matthias Wandel's latest video, showing again that he's not as bright as people like to think he is.
Almost has a nasty kickback accident through continuing to use his table saw with no riving knife (Only 30 seconds in, you don't have to watch it all).

It's almost like a badge of honour:
phew I survive that, proves I know what I'm doing!

They are all as bad. Johnathan Katz-Moses did a video a few months ago giving advice on how to safely use a planer/jointer, his advice showed some (in my opinion) bad techniques.

Here is one of his latest videos about how he has just cut the end off his thumb on his planer/jointer and what he should have done differently (which still looked bad technique to me) :( For some reason the link is starting half way through so you might need to go back to the start.

There is a lot of bad/dangerous advice out there.

They are all as bad. Johnathan Katz-Moses did a video a few months ago giving advice on how to safely use a planer/jointer, his advice showed some (in my opinion) bad techniques.

Here is one of his latest videos about how he has just cut the end off his thumb on his planer/jointer and what he should have done differently (which still looked bad technique to me) :( For some reason the link is starting half way through so you might need to go back to the start.

There is a lot of bad/dangerous advice out there.

This one was interesting. I watched this the other day of him walking through what he would do differently, yet he never mentioned actually having the guard on across the blade. He didn't need the full width of the cutters for his rather small piece - I'm sure a commenter called him out on this.

The recent video from Stumpy Nubs was more intresting though - never seen this type of issue before and while I don't own a table saw it's a good thing to be aware of.

Last edited:
I have to take the riving knife off for a plunge cut like he is doing which is possibly why he's not using a riving knife. He is taking a deep cut which doesn't help.
Most of the vids I've seen coming from the US show saw operators using no riving knife or guard (for a normal cut where there's no reason not to use both).

Their version of a push stick means passing your hand nearer to the blade than I would like as well.

I had an interesting debate on an American forum with a chap who thought the sawstop was the dogs b****ks.
Whilst I agreed it's an amazing invention I pointed out that if he followed basic safe practice (like use a sodding push stick) he didn't need a sawstop.
His argument being anything that made working on machines safer has to be a good thing which I suppose is a valid argument.
I countered that with "it will make you more complacent".
still, he didn't change his point of view and neither did I.

Matthias Wandel's latest video, showing again that he's not as bright as people like to think he is.
Almost has a nasty kickback accident through continuing to use his table saw with no riving knife (Only 30 seconds in, you don't have to watch it all).

He's monstrously bright if you look at his history as an engineer, writing communication systems for wireless devices and such.

But his woodworking is sort of glorified soap box derby and boy scout project stuff. I get what his gimmick is (he's part of the something for nothing woodworker's network - not meaning that he gets free things, though he has, but his channel promotes the idea that you can just garbage pick stuff and throw it together and have machines for nothing.

Heisz, stumpy numbs, and another guy whose name I can't remember all promote that gimmick, but stumpy numbs plays an oh shucks type gimmick and pushes garbage (like expensive trend sharpening kits and fluid) to the people he's farming and then collects ad revenue, and really knows nothing about it or says nothing about it other than ad copy. That stuff is absolutely what I despise about the "new" youtube. "I'm your friend, we're all friends. I'll take payment for what I'm showing you, read someone else's words- provide low quality information, and here, go buy here....but we're friends...and my name is wranglersta....I mean stumpy numbs!!"

Once in a while one of them goes off half cocked and pretends like they're being judged unfairly.

The show of all of the something for nothing guys reminds me of something an accomplished maker here said when I was talking about a woodworking show being very incomplete:

"you're making a mistake thinking these shows are for makers. Most people don't want to make anything. They want to watch someone do something and have it look like something they could do. Fine work doesn't meet that, but ugly work with a friendly personality makes someone feel like they could do what they're watching without having to do it".

Back