Your worst tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

I recently posted a question as to your favourite tools which proved to be a very popular subject.

I am now wondering about the worst tool you bought? Expecting even more responses/opinions this time

Mine has to be a Stanley 60 1/2 low angle block pl.. Sorry I can't bring myself to call this piece of junk a plane. I spent hours trying to get the 0.6mm hollow (and twist!!) out of the sole only to find the blade BENT slightly and of uneven thicness. Junk Junk Junk Junk Junk :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!!!!

I bought a LN low angle for just over £20 more than the Stanley and it worked on Oak end grain staight from the box (after a 2 minute hone) :D - no tuning neccesary.

Lesson learnt

Name and shame those tools so that the rest of us do not follow in your footsteps

Tony

Ooh!
Worst piece of rubbish I ever wasted money on was a "Record" spokeshave. The sole was ground out of parallel with the throat, the bed was so badly cast it hardly touched the iron, the mouth was wide enough to put your hand through and the sole was so roughly ground it was like 40 grit sandpaper! Needless to say, it was bloody useless! I bought it from the "record" stand at a show for £14. Absolute sh**e!
Henceforth, all my handtool purchases have been from companies like Clifton, L-N, etc, because it works out cheaper in the long run (and you can actually use the tools as opposed to wasting your time!!)
yours rantingly,
Philly :roll:

I bought a "JCB" circular saw - I needed one when I built my workshop. The saw worked OK for a while, it's heavier than I would like, but cheap. The main gripes I have with it are

A) The guard is so flimsy it distorts under use and won't retract, so you have to back the saw out - this "almost" makes it unusable

B) Whilst cutting some 18mm outdor ply (not too heavy going I didn't think) it started pouring smoke out till I almost couldn't see. Bizarrly it still runs, but I have now written it off and will purchase a better one, as soon as I find a project that needs it. With a chop saw, and a Table saw, and being able to borrow a "pro" circular saw from work means I still haven't got around to replacing it yet.

I won't buy any more "JCB" stuff, as it's very poorly made.

Adam

I think the worst tool I've bought is my Delta 10" mitre saw. I bought it after having the smaller version which is great but it's bigger brother is useless. Took ages to setup and get everything square then it never stayed square. The guy in homewood said they used to sell the Delta saws but stopped as they kept on getting returned.

Now you're all going to assume it's four letters, begins with "M" I know, but technically it's my dad's, so I'm allowed to think of something else. :p I would say the B&D "Mouse" sander, but that was my dad again (see where I get it from? :roll: ). Hmm, this is quite tricky. I think probably the absolute worst was the Stanley #90 bullnose plane. The adjusting screw for the nose piece was glued in, so not surprisingly it sheared off when I went to close down the mouth. The sides weren't square to the sole (rather a vital requirement), the edges were all sharp as razors and the whole thing reeked of lack of care in manufacture. It went back and no tears were shed.

Cheers, Alf

I've already flamed my tablesaw... so I'll hit the next on the list; Record Speedclamps. Bought 2 pairs of em when I first started out; cost a fortune compared to other clamps on the market. I didn't mind the price, THINKING that I was buying QUALITY clamps that'd take a lifetime of abuse. Boy was I ever wrong. The moving heads refuse to engage and lock onto the serrations in the bar; result is that JUST when you think it's safe to turn your back on them.......... they fall off. Doesn't matter how much tension you dial into em, couple of minutes later thay're on the deck and the glue-up has gone to rats if you didn't hear the clatter at the time.
As these were the 2nd and 3rd time I'd been burned by buying Record, guess who isn't shedding tears at their demise? Alla those CNC machines should fetch a bundle for the sellers; never USED...!!!!!

Hi Woodshavings

woodshavings":2o7ynk6v said:
I would also add Bessy Speed Clamps - they are a real disappointment

Do Bessey produce speed clamps? I'm not sure which of their clamps you mean.

I was surprised to read your posting because each Bessey clamp/cramp that I have bought has been excellent.

Cheers
Neil

has to be my clarke table saw, dangerous, noisy and VERY scary.

second to that has to be the dado set I bourght to put in the clarke saw :shock:

the whole lot BLOODY USELESS, dado set is now hung in the workshop as a shrine and a lesson to all :lol:

the table saw is going to be dropped from a large height!

Hi Neil

Its called a Kliklamp.
I bought a pair at the Ally Pally show - big mistake. :( The twist handle on the normal small clamp has been replaced by a ratchet handle that closes a secondry jaw. I have found it very fiddly to use.

I have posted a picture of it under "Jigs" on the Gallery. (I dont know how to include a picture as part this post.)

Cheers

John

Hi John

woodshavings":2fjs5oew said:
Hi Neil, Its called a Kliklamp. I bought a pair at the Ally Pally show - big mistake. :( The twist handle on the normal small clamp has been replaced by a ratchet handle that closes a secondry jaw. I have found it very fiddly to use.

I have posted a picture of it under "Jigs" on the Gallery. (I dont know how to include a picture as part this post.) Cheers John

Thanks for posting the picture, much appreciated.

Obviously one to avoid. So, even Bessey can get it wrong!!

Cheers
Neil

I too love the klickclamps, they are one of the most useful kinds of clamp I have and I have plenty! Their big brothers are excellent too.

I really don't understand the "fiddly" bit - in about half of the situations I use them in, they can be operated with one hand.

No problem with the regular Bessy Clamps.
But I find the ratchet handle on the kliklamps much more fiddly than the "twist to clamp" on the smaller Bessys of the same size.

In a moment of weakness I bought a Power Pro 2050 router for my table - basically because of the 2000 watt motor and the fact that it was on special offer. The thing is almost useless. The power drops like a stone under load, the lock is a stupid plastic affair that lasted a couple of days (I've since whipped it off and fitted a short bar through the bolt) and the 'micro adjuster' is about as much use as an Italian traffic light. Turned out it wasn't bargain after all. When will I ever learn?!!

Steve I have the 2050 and mine works fine.

The lock is pressed steel on mine not plastic and it handles anything
I chuck at inculding a 3" panel raising bit.

I wonder if the spec of the router has changed since I bought mine.

Sorry to hear yours is a dog, if it was me Id take it back, I have never had a porblem with refunds or replacements from B&Q

Regards

Signal

Hippl. :D ,I have a 2050,and being a new user realy abuse this thing,I have no prob's attal,I think a lot of these tools are made by NU-TOOL AND ONE OR TWO PLACES FAR-EAST,I was wary but no complaints,you must have got a friday afternoon one,as for slowing down under load I've a job to stop mine, :lol: ,GANDALF

Having thought long and hard about this thread I have come to the conclusion that the worst tool in my worshop is ME

Blimey chaps!
It certainly sounds like I got the prototype. Mine had a terrible yellow plastic locking handle that failed soon after I got it. Also - the collets were really poor, not quite true and hence I had to drift out the bits with softwood - not a task that endeared me to the machine especially as some of my bits cost considerably more than the router. The main reason I bought it was for the 2K motor - but it really can't take a lot at all. It's like some unseen hand reaches for the variable speed, so I have to take a lot of light cuts that my Trend T5 would hardly even notice.
As for a 3 inch PR bit - I wouldn't even try on my machine. One of the first tasks I put it to was a 1.5" shallow cove in pine, and it was a joke. Lots of light cuts, very slow feed and a large dose of patience. The fact that you've got a pressed steel locking handle would suggest they've taken another look at the spec. The plastic one was truly awful - dangerous in inexperienced hands. They MUST have done something to the motor - unless I just got a duff'un!
What about the plunge action? Mine was like using a gym machine! I think the spring came off an old Aussie tractor!

I can't take it back - I've done so many things to it (drilled out the locking nut and put a bar through it, got rid of that useless, diabolical plastic tube, removed the spring so I have half a chance of using it in the table) - I don't think they'd entertain me!

Glad to hear you guys are happier - but I'm sticking to established brands from now on. I'm going to treat myself to the big Porter Cable. I used a mate's recently - now THAT is a router!

Steve

Back