your opinion please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just received a delivery of hardwood (sycamore) 4 pieces, two of the pieces as per this picture

timber1.jpg

as you can see they have a texture running up through the middle of the timber,. How would members consider using this area (if possible)

The second picture the boards have been turned over and the second boards do not have the same imperfections.

timber2.jpg

In addition do the forum think it is a good idea to leave the timber cling film wrapped until usage instead of stacking in the traditional way?

That looks mostly secondary wood quality devon, used for uphostered furniture and hidden structural parts.

Of course you may sometimes want the fungal or mineral staining for aesthetic reasons.

I'd sticker it in a dry place with dry sticks until you have a use for it. The cling-film, useful in the short term for delivery, may well encourage mould growth in the future. Slainte.

DW

At Good Timber they had two types of board. The clear good quality boards were 'x' pounds and the 'less clear' boards were half this price.

Both I and Bean bought the less clear boards at half price but they were clearer than those in your picuture :?

If you didn't specifically ask for the cheap boards, and are not happy with your wood, then I would get on the phone to them and politely ask why they did not send the more expensive, clear boards and what they are going to do about it

For what it's worth, I find the less clear boards look often look nicer than the really clear boards which can appear a little 'bland' and unintersting

Devon..

in my limited experience with sycamore, any probs I've had with the boards have been through that "textured" area... any checks or splits in the board tend to come form there. That said, I've only seen that when the "texture" had gone right through the board...

(forgive me if my terminology's wrong, but I believe that's the pith of the tree)

I'd keep an eye on them as they dry, but wouldn't expect there to be too many probs. In use, I'd make a feature of that side of the board as the heartwood grain tends to go nuts (note frequent grain reversals) where it meets the pith... The pith takes on a real dark colour when finished, stark contrast to the heartwood... It's ideal stuff to give that new LA plane a work out; the adjustable mouth is just the thing to cope with the grain reversals...

Dunno about the making use of the feature bit, but I'd definitely remove the clingfilm for conditioning: with this quantity of wood, I'd seal the ends with a coat of thick paint, and sticker under the bed (assuming they're destined for something in the house) Out of the way, and they'll be at the right MC when you come to use them.

Definitely remove the film.

I like the pattern on those boards. Do you already have a project planned for them? If not, I would be looking at a way to use them for panels in doors or drawer fronts on a cabinet.

and sticker under the bed (assuming they're destined for something in the house) Out of the way, and they'll be at the right MC when you come to use them.

My wife wont let me :D :D :D

Dave R":1515cz35 said:
Definitely remove the film.

I like the pattern on those boards. Do you already have a project planned for them? If not, I would be looking at a way to use them for panels in doors or drawer fronts on a cabinet.

Yes

A five drawer jewellery cabinet designed and made by an australian friend seen when I visited OZ this year.,

see this thread

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

Back