Your mortice and tennon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Whats your method of cutting a mortice and tenon joint ?
I do my tenons on the bandsaw and when the cross cut saw was running true i used that for the shoulders but now do them by hand with a japanese pull saw . The mortice i do either on a bench mounted mortiser or if doing frames i use the bandsaw and a 3d bit and clean up all joints with a chisel .
On frames i use dowels or screws and anything else its wedges .

See my bench post.

Mortices by router with either guide bush & template or one/two fences. Other times I use the morticer.

Tennons with router table, router up against a clamped on guide, sliding carrage for sholders & nibble or bandsaw cheeks.

Or loose tennons

Biscutes if there's not much stress on the joint.

Jason

I wasn't asking how to do a M&T i think my way is best :lol:
I just wondered how others did theres , i've tried the router and found its more hassle trying to deal with breakout than its worth , plus when making a larger piece ie a frame you need to support nearly 7ft of timber to pass the end over the router .

JFC":1dhhbov4 said:
plus when making a larger piece ie a frame you need to support nearly 7ft of timber to pass the end over the router .

It's easier to pass the router over the wood, just remember to take it out of the table first :D two fences will keep it centered, or make a simple jig.

Jason

JFC":38bu8sde said:
I just wondered how others did theres
See the link WiZeR thoughtfully provided. We all think our way is best too. :wink: :lol:

If you've got 7ft of frame, seems to me it's time to take the router to the work. :-k

Cheers, Alf

Hey JFC

Tenons by hand or on bandsaw or router table.

I received a lovely Rockler Mitre track and Mitre quage on Thursday :D and when installed, I expect to use the router table more often for the tenon.

I'll still cut some by hand with english style tenon saw though because I enjoy it :wink:

mortice is dedicated morticer or occasionally a router with two fences

2 fences :-k i could buy another mitre fence for the router table and use them as clamps ( got a sliding bed on my router table so mitre clamps lock in place )Then make up a bed to hold the overhanging stock .
As for taking the router out of the table :cry: Looks like another 625 is on the cards , see what you lot have done now im tool shopping again :lol:

Ive just looked at the forum link for mortice and tenon and im shocked ! For a start its showing a stop M&T and its recommending a chisel on the tenon #-o Never chisel the tenon always chisel the mortice that way you can keep the through part of a real mortice and tenon looking nice (with wedges) And the wedge in the middle of a joint :lol: looks nice but how long do you want your work to last before it splits ?

IF'n I just got a few I cut em by hand. If'n I got more than a few its either a moritser or router with fence. the tenons are done with a tablesaw tenon jig and dado blades. :whistle: :whistle: One swipe each side and its done. you do have to knife them or make them a little wide for tear out. :)

JFC":3pacico8 said:
Ive just looked at the forum link for mortice and tenon and im shocked ! For a start its showing a stop M&T and its recommending a chisel on the tenon #-o Never chisel the tenon always chisel the mortice
:-s Seems Charley was using the chisel to pare the tenon - what's wrong with that? What am I missing here? And a blind mortise? Again, what's up? :-s

Cheers, Alf

Alf":245047cg said:
JFC":245047cg said:
Ive just looked at the forum link for mortice and tenon and im shocked ! For a start its showing a stop M&T and its recommending a chisel on the tenon #-o Never chisel the tenon always chisel the mortice
:-s Seems Charley was using the chisel to pare the tenon - what's wrong with that? What am I missing here? And a blind mortise? Again, what's up? :-s
Cheers, Alf
Me thinks it is a bit of absolutism that was taught or otherwise learned.

If I have a well defined mortice...paring the tenon is the quickest way--for me--to get a good fit.

But it also depends on the mortice. This is where one's own judgement comes in. If I've chopped the mortice off and cut the tenon good, I'll pare the mortice rather than making the tenon thinner.

For trimming a tennon, I use whatever is at hand. If I've been paring a mortice, it's a chisel. Sometimes it's a shoulder plane. Or a rabbet block plane. It doesn't matter.

Heck, I've been know to give really close tenons a squeeze in the vice :shock: to make 'em fit just prior to gluing.

Take care, Mike

Your right there Mike . During my apprenticeship If we where caught doing anything to a tenon after cutting the cheeks we would have to recut a new one :oops: Thinking about it this was probably so the lecturer could see how our work progressed but its sort of stuck with me .

Back