Your Jigs ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just wondering if any of you 'finish' the jigs you make. I'm not fussy, don't care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done easier but if it's a wood based jig do you spend a bit of extra time on making it look nice or just use it and get on with it ?

Hey Joe,
I normally make my jigs from MDF. To finish I put on a coat or two of sanding sealer, rub it out and then a coat of paste wax. After a good buffing the jig looks smart and it is nice and slippery for moving parts/surfaces.
Hope this is of help,
Philly

Depends. If it's a single-use jig then there's no point, but for ones I know I'll use often (mortise jig, shooting board etc) then either a couple of coats of acrylic varnish or shellac, both with a lick of wax on any sliding parts. Any finish that's quick drying really. MDF especially soaks up moisture like a sponge, so it makes sense, and it just keeps 'em looking nice longer.

Cheers, Alf

:p
Hi all
From Western Australia
I usually laminate my MDF templates if they are to be used over and over

Newbie_Neil":34yosu7n said:
Jarrah":34yosu7n said:
:p Hi all from Western Australia

G'Day Jarrah, welcome to the MB.

Is ubeaut not exciting enough for you? :wink:

Cheers
Neil

My apologies for the mix up as I must have entered twice Jarrah is Really Template Tom
I thought I'd go back 'Home' for a look and see if there is any interest in the use of the template guides. I originated from Scotland 37 years ago. If there vis any one out there that has a passion for the use of the router with the template guides I would like to hear from them.
When I was conducting my cabinet making business I traded under the name of 'Tom and Jarrah' Jarrah being our local Western Australian timber sometimes refered to Swamp Mahogany

Latest posts

Back