Your Favourite wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is your Favourite wood for turning?
I have only tried Yew and Ash.
I found the Ash very hard to turn but the Yew was a dream.
Is there anyone that can tell me other woods to try that are as good as the Yew?

Being a total cheapskate my favourite wood is whatever I find. Each one has different character. I haven't tried many of the fancy exotics but beech, sycamore and apple are easy to turn and english eucalyptus turns well but is rather bland. Try as many as you can Reg and you'll find that different woods work for different things.

Pete

Sycamore is very nice,if you want something readily available in the UK.(as are beech,ash,elm and oak)
American black walnut if you want something from further afield.
Imbuya is very nice if you want something more exotic.

Andrew (who's still trying out different timbers,and has several new ones to use still)

Reg.I'm with Pete on this one.
Haven't bought any wood yet just what i've had given me from felled trees etc.
So far i have liked Hawthorne,Ash,Holly,Oak,and whatever the other woods are.All free :roll:
Paul.J.

I have tried quite a few of the exotics, such as Cococobolo, Mgurure, Muhuhue, Amazonian Rosewood (now that has a wonderfull scent) Wenge, Blackwood, Tamboote oily as hell), Mallee burrs, Gimlet, Australian Eucalyptus, Red River Gum, Olive, and the list goes on.....
Native woods Holly, Ash, Elm, Cherry, Apple, Pear, Laburnum, Yew etc. etc

But favourite of all is Oak, followed closely by beech but it mustn't be spalted, I loathe spalted beech with a vengence, and see it fit only for firewood, turn a 12"x3" fruit bowl in beech, finish it in wax and let it talk to you ........... fantastic

I think I may have breathed in to much exotic sawdust

Chris

Favourite wood has to be yew because of it's range of colours. It cuts incredibly well when wet.

I generally don't turn foreign woods but my favourite I think is mahogany.

Duncan

my favourites are all the wons that i get for FREE. but all i have turned are pens, lots of em. but will try other things at the weekend :lol:

Hello,

If pressed, I would have to say Honey Mesquite is my favourite local wood and Lignum Vitae for an exotic. Of course, there are lots of others that are a pure joy to turn like any of the Rosewoods, Dogwood, Ash, Silver Maple, any burr, Ebony and more... Take care and all the best to you and yours!

I've never used it but Red Mallee is the tops for me
Lee%20-%20Red%20Morrel%20Wing%20Edge.jpg

Some other nice stuff HERE

i honestly dont mind any wood that i turn, each has its good and bad points, some may b a joy to turn but not give a nice finish, others a pigs ear to turn, but a joy to behold, im sure you will have fun "finding" your fave!! :eek:ccasion5:

I'd have to go for Holly - beautiful fine, hard grain. But what I can see of the Hawthorn I'm just starting makes it a close second.

Chris.

Reg, you're in a good position... try any and all of them!

One of the joys of wood is that each piece... even from the same tree, has its own characteristics and beauty...

enjoy your journey through the woods :wink:

I have only seen one reply on Sycamore.
I have been offered a complete tree, hopefully cut up.
Is there anything I should do with it, they have had it stored for about a year in the garden.
Oh what am I letting my self in to.

caretaker":ejk5vldg said:
I have only seen one reply on Sycamore.
I have been offered a complete tree, hopefully cut up.
Is there anything I should do with it, they have had it stored for about a year in the garden.
Oh what am I letting my self in to.

Grab it quick.

The wood may have taken on significant colouring by now, nothing wrong with that, it can add considerable character, sycamore has to be dried quickly to keep it white I believe.

Seal any endgrain wood with PVA, Wax or gloss paint asap to reduce splitting.

Keep lengths as long as possible until you are ready to turn. (reduces end split wastage)

If not already available put bandsaw on wish list.

Rough turn green to cut drying time, finish turn when dry.

The best i liked to turn was Walnut, Spalted beech, Ebony and Holly.
I get loads of other kinds of wood here from around the area and i turn them green and see if splits appear or not over time.

I got some green eucalyptus but it has a strange way of drying... everywhere you look there are some weird splits and i keep it in a cool spot but i think it will end up as firewood rather than turningwood....

Danny

still have a lot of woods to try, but so far, oak for beautiful natural pieces I enjoy making and would keep myself, and purple heart for fine detail.

I think Walnut will have to my favorite for a while, :D we had an old mature tree blown down in recent gales, it was about 100ft. hig, still trying to work out best way to log it :?

Latest posts

Back