Your favourite Machinery under £1000 (new)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit of a random thread but here goes. What's your favourite bit of "bring workpiece to it" kit in the workshop?

As a real time saver and quality improver: Mirka sander, abranet disks and dust extractor. I wish I had bought this 10 years ago.

AJB Temple":1fn47ruz said:
As a real time saver and quality improver: Mirka sander, abranet disks and dust extractor. I wish I had bought this 10 years ago.
Isn't that the reverse of 'bring the work piece to it'?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

To answer why; to make unknowns known. Part of the journey of learning about this, which is a hobby and not a profession innmu case. I guess I find it interesting to find out what tools bring most satisfaction to people, which may in turn inform my research for future purchases. For example I would have never considered a Mirka sander and never knew about that abrasive medium referred to, but I'm researching that now

You'll struggle to get a decent one for under £1000 new (you'd get a really nice one like a Sedgwick secondhand though) but I think a spindle moulder is one of the best pieces of kit to be had for even a serious hobby level workshop. Whilst it is a dangerous piece of equipment compared to a hand plane, it's a very versatile piece of equipment. There really isn't much that you can't do on a spindle moulder so long as you're competent and safe. It's been a staple of most joinery workshops for over 100 years so there's something to be said about it.

Although tooling is a bit pricey.

Prizen":1pqu99m8 said:
To answer why; to make unknowns known. Part of the journey of learning about this, which is a hobby and not a profession innmu case. I guess I find it interesting to find out what tools bring most satisfaction to people, which may in turn inform my research for future purchases. For example I would have never considered a Mirka sander and never knew about that abrasive medium referred to, but I'm researching that now
Rather than making it about some random tool, why not approach it from what you are trying to achieve? Otherwise you are just learning about random stuff you might want to buy...

As an aside that sanding answer was the actual opposite of what you were asking, which sort of proves the point really...

Almost all the more expensive tools and machines in my workshop are either purchased secondhand or homemade for quite a bit less than they would have costed to buy new .........

Some of my handheld power tools were bought new but none of them really gets much use inside the workshop. They are mainly for onsite use or at least use around the yard.
My large Fein angle grinder is certainly a favourite as is my Husqvarna 353 chainsaw and my Eibenstock EHB32/2.2RRL power drill. The hydraulic top link for my tractor is another favourite. Though none of them fits into the workshop context.

So...... your question is impossible to answer.

Back