Your best bargain buy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leverb01507

Established Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest i thought i would ask what everyones best woodworking bargain is!
This is partially because im nosey and partially because i havent been on the site long enough to understand whats going on in the other threads (from what i can gather it involved Ronnie Corbit, the irish population, the hardness of steel, sotty the puppet and a woman farting in harrods).
So ill start things off,
Mine was at a local boot fair where i got an excellent condition old record 5.5 and a small plough plane for 20 notes for the pair.
The record is now my go to tool and was completely flat and square when i got it, as the irons donkeys years old hopefully if it was going to move it would have done by now. It had plenty of blade left and im dead chuffed with it to be honest.
The plough plane im not so bothered about its only a rapier plane but its useful when i dont want the hassle of setting up the router.

So whats your star buy?

Well i'll be picking my bargain up on Monday. Don't want to say anymore in case it goes t!ts up and the seller decides not to sell at the agreed price.

Fingers crossed.......

I got a 2hp chip collector, brand new, £50 which I thought was good.

Can't remember any more. I've got a lot of my stuff at good prices, but not absolute bargains.

I got a Leigh 24 worth over £400 in great condition for £70, from here of course!

I think Woodsworth got the best bargain (I put him onto it :lol: ) a RSDE for free!

My brand new SIP 12" table saw. £800 with the sliding table, rear extension, wheel kit and free delivery. That lot would cost you around £1,600 in most place's now.

Cheers

Mike

I paid £300 for a 2 year old rojek pk315 it on axis site now at £1960!! I got a hegner multi cut 2 for £54 and my first lathe I got was a axminster it came with a Creusen wet and dry grinder a copier attachment chuck and loads of tools bought the hole lot for 200 quid off ebay then sold the lathe on its own on ebay for 300 quid so i dint do bad out of that!

Hi, my best bargain is a 1250mm bessey k body revo clamp for £12 brand new. The only problem is there was only one and i do not if i will be able to get any more especially at that price. I have asked where i got it from however.

cheers neil

Well my wife's wedding ring was pretty cheap but I never factored in the recurring costs :)

Still a bargain though

EDIT- oops not quite a woodworking bargain though!

she has been known to lurk here!

Mike.C":3usracpz said:
My brand new SIP 12" table saw. £800 with the sliding table, rear extension, wheel kit and free delivery. That lot would cost you around £1,600 in most place's now.

Cheers

Mike

My 10" SIP at £700 was one of my top bargains also.

Auctions are always good for a bargain or 2. I have bagged a wadkin spindle moulder for £240 a multico morticer for £150 but the best bargain was this 3metre pad sander which was £43 but costs about 4.5k new :D

workshop-11.jpg

cheers

jon

jon wins.

On the subject of Besseys, I got my set of 8 for under a tenner each. Forgot about that.

My best bargain (from eBay) was an Axminster CT150 Planer for £50. Spelling mistakes on the listing and no picture. Took a risk driving to Southampton from Birstol to buy it and while I was collecting it, I got a Jet Bobbin Sander for a further £50. Both had a little surface rust from storage but cleaned up very well.

Sam

I got a Foley Belsaw Model 1055 for £102 delivered. They go for $1400 us dollars, but i've seen people get good deals on then in the USA as well.

Hi,

Hitachi M12V router from a carboot for £22.

Pete

I got my Record Coronet lathe plus 8 Record turning tools and 3 Sorby tools for £90

I also got my Black n Decker 1600 circular saw, case & a new makita blade - £30

Too many to list to be honest - besides, best not to say, as if I ever sell any of them - wouldn't want to restrict the sale price.

Especially if the sale is to allow an upgrade of kit.

Hi,

Also I got a makita palm sander for £3.

Pete

I recently got an axminster spindle sander (essential a JBOS 5 but in blue) for 49 notes on ebay

and i'm also quite happy with the kity 419 tablesaw i bought from ed for 300 notes

Back