You thought Woodrats were expensive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crikey! :shock:

Rather takes the fun out of it too I would have though.

How much skill (enjoyment) can there be in sticking a couple of bits of wood in, and getting a perfect joint out with no effort?

Tony":1il1gzf6 said:
Aragorn":1il1gzf6 said:
Can it do anything the 'Rat can't do, though?

Can the rat do anything that a router and table can't do?

Ho ho ho. :roll:

That mans a comedian.

How about north south travel on-the-fly, as well as east-west travel, as the fundamental difference!

Adam

Tony":2fz720ua said:
Aragorn":2fz720ua said:

We could take that a little further and say it can't do anything you can't do with a few basic hand tools :). Albeit more slowly and most probably less neatly :).

I wouldn't mind having a play with it though ... Having said that it won't be long before Steve M or Ian D knocks one up for GWW :).

Cheers

Gidon

Adam":27ef7948 said:
Tony":27ef7948 said:
Aragorn":27ef7948 said:

Ho ho ho. :roll:

That mans a comedian.

How about north south travel on-the-fly, as well as east-west travel, as the fundamental difference!

Adam

Couldn't resist :lol: .

interesting that the rat only does one thing that a router and table can't do yet costs £450+!!!!!! (without a router)

Ohh, and that brush under the wood to hold it in place :?: <shudders>

I would definitely buy a Rat if the price was about 1/2 the above :wink:

the rat only does one thing that a router and table can't do

..which for the ill informed is...? (no, really...it's a genuine question!).

ike":xozi3881 said:

Ho ho ho. Another comedian* :lol:

How about safely climb cutting Tony?

Besides that nail brush comes in handy when I come in from gardening. :p

Adam

* just in case
(try www.woodrat.com )

ike":21uijoha said:

Funny, I was wondering what the "one thing" was too. Seems to me the North/South, East/West thing is a pretty major "one thing"... (It's two things for a start. Or maybe even four...) If we fine tune the "router and table" to exclude making additional one-off jigs and such, I think it might struggle quite a bit. And if we're including making as many jigs and fixtures as you fancy, then scrub the table too! I may start muttering about those sliding dovetails on the 12.5 deg bevelled edge again if you're not careful...
tounge.gif

For the router table users out there, my commiserations
wink.gif
, and try a brush instead of a feather board some time. It's actually a pretty neat trick.

Cheers, Alf

Settling down for a good 'Rat debate - oh, how I've missed thee. Where's Neil anyway? Getting Tony to do all his work for him eh?
tounge.gif

Rats, tables and I dare say multi routers all have their good points but I'd swap mine to cut dovetails like Rob Cosman - by hand.

And just in case you thought that was a drive-by for my multi-router, it wasn't. (that is still on my wish list!) :lol:

Alf":1v8mh11e said:
Settling down for a good 'Rat debate - oh, how I've missed thee. Where's Neil anyway? Getting Tony to do all his work for him eh?
tounge.gif

Ahh, see a good "healthy" discussion keeps the blood flowing* on these cold winter nights.

*Alternatively, using a router upside down without proper guarding has the same effect :twisted:

To be fair to the multi router, it should be pointed out that it is a professional tool, and is much used in the USA by people who need to work quickly in order to make a living.
There's a bit more info about it here
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/in ... rodID=1952
I would definitely consider one, especially if I was to start doing hardwood kitchens again.
I know many people love Woodrats, which are great for amateurs, but they would be much too slow for a professional workshop
John

As one whose imagination runs rather more ambitiously ahead of the available skills, I'd love one of these things.

A bit like digital photography — more time would be spent at the computer, than behind the physical tools.

I never thought that the Woodrat was expensive, once I'd seen the price of a Lie-Nielson or, heaven forbid, a Karl Holtey plane.

http://www.holteyplanes.com/index.htm

Is well worth bookmarking, for when Anthea Turner hovers on your doorstep, wielding a cheque from the Lottery.

If truth be known, I'd be a classic customer for a fine cabinet-maker — unfortunately, the required bank balance is somehow playing hide-and-seek with me.

Anyway, at $2,695, it will soon be CHEAPER than the WoodRat (PLEASE Mr Bush, keep the dollar in free-fall for a while longer).

--
batty.

gidon":16ijxwgd said:
Having said that it won't be long before Steve M or Ian D knocks one up for GWW :).

Oooh, now there's a challenge!

Actually I am writing up, even as we speak, the latest incarnation of my router tenoning jig (end-on, like the Rat). Wouldn't actually claim to be in the same league as this though!

And so, (and I've always wanted to be able to say this)
A Merry Christmas to all my Readers!
:lol:

Ho-ho-ho!
Steve

Sorry missed these last posts - look forward to reading about the new jig Steve!

Agree John - I'm sure there's a market for them. I'm sure you could have a good go at making one yourself?

Batty - too true - especially if the 'Rat increases in price (again) too!

Cheers

Gidon

Just while you are mentioning the Woodrat,
Rutlands have some good savings on these in their sale at the moment.
Unfortunately, I am not tempted because I don't have any wall space left.

Howard

Well spotted Howard!

I'm not tempted at all of course :)lol:).

The Woodrat is back at its pre-rise price. Wonder what the scam is here?

Cheers

Gidon

I know many people love Woodrats, which are great for amateurs, but they would be much too slow for a professional workshop
John

Are you 'aving a larf?

sliding dovetail tripod table leg repairs, floating tenons to repair broken ones, inlay repairs, cross grain grooves without getting into new build cabinet making, and it all hangs on the wall taking up minimal space with the router on the top ready to go. Way better than a table thanks mainly to the powerfeed principals and the four directionality (made up word) :wink:
As you can tell i certainly like the Rat. Mines paid for itself many times over.

Back