You may not know this handy tip.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
We probably all use ratchet straps but not everybody including me new this simple tip to make life easier.
My son learnt this and passed it on to me, and the other day I had a guy collecting a car on a dolly, which he does all day every day and he didn’t know it and was most impressed when I showed him. It’s one of those "of course, how stupid" moments.
So this is how I always used to do it, Putting the strap through with the ratchet in the open position like this.
22DEAFD4-26E3-420F-A81C-464514176E43.jpeg

Whereas if you close the ratchet and then feed the end through you can pull on it to tighten it before you start to operate the ratchet.
81142056-8E70-4A29-8C73-CDA5C60C5903.jpeg

Ridiculously simple but makes quite a difference particularly when trying to undo it again as you don’t have as much strap wrapped around the barrel of the ratchet. Ian

I had to think a while to understand your first photo. I have always used the other method, though I can't remember if someone showed me that or if I just happened to do it that way.

The bit that always gets me though is removing a ratchet strap. Yes, I know it is a quick & simple process but it never seems obvious to me and I usually have to faff around until I work it out, yet again.

If you use your first method, doesn't it all get tangled up when you are "ratcheting"?

I had to think a while to understand your first photo. I have always used the other method, though I can't remember if someone showed me that or if I just happened to do it that way.

The bit that always gets me though is removing a ratchet strap. Yes, I know it is a quick & simple process but it never seems obvious to me and I usually have to faff around until I work it out, yet again.
See the gate on the left of the first picture? Pull it then push the handles back past the locked open position. Now pull the strap and watch it freewheel.

When I was 17 I worked at a parcel company that also did long distance haulage.
I was shown how to strap and rope everything by the older chaps there,
Didn’t matter the shape or size, a few well place ropes and it wasn’t moving.
sadly I’ve forgotten most of it as I left when I was 22 after a shoulder injury.
But this rings a bell.

I'm now 72, when quite young my fav Uncle tought me a few things about ropeing and sheeting...
he started his working life on horse drawn carts for the railway.....
still use a knot tought by him......good memeories......

over the years have met many people who cannot fathom a ratchet strap.....
my fun is to watch em when they try to loosen them......lol.....

for u guy's in the UK, have been told that due to H/S a lot of places can only use a ratchet straps once...
then they are disposed of.....so a few should find thier way out onto the open market.... cheap

for u guy's in the UK, have been told that due to H/S a lot of places can only use a ratchet straps once...
then they are disposed of.....so a few should find thier way out onto the open market.... cheap

Sorry but nope thats bullshit. There are some single use lifting slings but not ratchets.

I used a pair for the best part of 20 yrs.

I'm now 72, when quite young my fav Uncle tought me a few things about ropeing and sheeting...
he started his working life on horse drawn carts for the railway.....
still use a knot tought by him......good memeories......

over the years have met many people who cannot fathom a ratchet strap.....
my fun is to watch em when they try to loosen them......lol.....

Frank I’m 77 and still have fun with ratchet straps, son & grandson keep trying to teach but much happier with a rope and the “haystack “ or waggon drivers hitch, never fails and so easy 😀

Me too. The first approach never occurred to me.
The ratchet assemblies are often left in the open position as that is how they are when you open the cams to remove the strap and it just seems easier when they’re open like that to feed the strap back through that way next time.
As I’m sure you know habits are strange things easy to get into and not so quick to get out of – I had been doing it wrong for years ha ha

Back