You may not know this handy tip.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used both methods for many years and both work the same as in amount of strap on the ratchet you are left with. as you pull tight then ratchet. I seem to now always use the closed ratchet then thread the strap way though. Some folk say thats wrong as a chap said the exact thing yesterday and used the open ratchet method.

I have used both methods for many years and both work the same as in amount of strap on the ratchet you are left with. as you pull tight then ratchet. I seem to now always use the closed ratchet then thread the strap way though. Some folk say thats wrong as a chap said the exact thing yesterday and used the open ratchet method.
Hi Captain Faff actually no, because as you are able to pull it much tighter so you’re not going to end up with as much strap on the drum and I’ve looked but can’t see what the chap said there yesterday but I can assure you that this is the right way to do it – with the ratchet closed to start with. Ian

Sorry but nope thats bullshit. There are some single use lifting slings but not ratchets.
I hate to say it but I found single use ratchet straps for the first time at work this week - utter madness not health and safety but our transport supplier does not reuse vehicle pallets or the straps that they use to hold down bodies so it's a "cost saving". Here's hopping I can have some of the wood. The ratchets can only be described using words that this site will auto correct. It could make sense if by not returning the pallets the lorries were being used for other work on the return journey but according to the driver he was just going back empty

Sounds pretty crazy to me Ozi, if they insist on buying a new pallet every single time I don’t think they’re going to be in business long which is probably a good thing with that attitude. It’s just sheer waste.

We once got a shipment from overseas and the truck driver cut the straps off under orders from his boss. They were 2" wide and there was a couple dozen. I just wanted a few to tie stuff down in my Nissan pickup so could never load anything heavy enough to come close to breaking them even if they were compromised 70% of new. Bugged me a bunch but there was nothing I could do about it. Fortunately they are cheap enough now that I have a couple dozen of all sizes. I hate the things I'm hauling shifting.

Pete

I've used ratchet straps for as long as I can remember and I've never heard of anyone ratchet them by starting with the handle open?

I always carry a pair in the car and they are rolled onto the closed ratchet and secured with a rubber loop cut from a tyre inner tube. That's the best elastic band you will ever find and the ones I'm using now I cut about 35 or 40 years ago, probably longer.

I also have an extra long pair, about 5 metres long that I made up myself. Easy to do on SWMBO's sewing machine by using strong thread and double sewing everything. Cheap to do and I have put a hell of a lot of pressure on them over time with no sign of any failure.

I use the ordinary ones as clamps for box assembly. Just cut a right angle wooden block to go on the corners and it makes the perfect clamp for any size box or frame.

I've used ratchet straps for as long as I can remember and I've never heard of anyone ratchet them by starting with the handle open?

I always carry a pair in the car and they are rolled onto the closed ratchet and secured with a rubber loop cut from a tyre inner tube. That's the best elastic band you will ever find and the ones I'm using now I cut about 35 or 40 years ago, probably longer.

I also have an extra long pair, about 5 metres long that I made up myself. Easy to do on SWMBO's sewing machine by using strong thread and double sewing everything. Cheap to do and I have put a hell of a lot of pressure on them over time with no sign of any failure.

I use the ordinary ones as clamps for box assembly. Just cut a right angle wooden block to go on the corners and it makes the perfect clamp for any size box or frame.
Well Jon, you have now! Quite a few of us numpties, me included have been doing it the hard way for years!
I think you said it perfectly when you said that you put yours away properly with a nice elastic band around them (yes they are good aren’t they) you see us lazy beggers just left them in the position they were when we finished with them – open, and it just seemed obvious to load them again that way, Doh!

I'm now 72, when quite young my fav Uncle tought me a few things about ropeing and sheeting...
he started his working life on horse drawn carts for the railway.....
still use a knot tought by him......good memeories......

over the years have met many people who cannot fathom a ratchet strap.....
my fun is to watch em when they try to loosen them......lol.....

for u guy's in the UK, have been told that due to H/S a lot of places can only use a ratchet straps once...
then they are disposed of.....so a few should find thier way out onto the open market.... cheap
I'm now 72, when quite young my fav Uncle tought me a few things about ropeing and sheeting...
he started his working life on horse drawn carts for the railway.....
still use a knot tought by him......good memeories......

over the years have met many people who cannot fathom a ratchet strap.....
my fun is to watch em when they try to loosen them......lol.....

for u guy's in the UK, have been told that due to H/S a lot of places can only use a ratchet straps once...
then they are disposed of.....so a few should find thier way out onto the open market.... cheap
I as an agency driver and have worked for hundreds different firms I can tell you that each lorry has only one set of straps and are jealously guarded by the regular drivers one use straps? Nonsense

The other one is a bowline on a bight? (Learned in the scouts - from a lorry driver)
Thats your starting knot. Right in the middle of the rope. Then you send each end diagonally over the sheeted load to be tied off. Been so long now since i used a rope i cant remember half the knots to be honest.

I keep mine in my estate car under the rear floor rolled up around a closed ratchet, never occurred to me to open them and thread the end through, if using them on the roof rack of a car never leave a loose end flapping it will take the paint off the car whilst wind driven driving along and flapping against the paint, always tie them back on themselves.

On a construction site we used to get cut and bent rebar delivered in ton bags which were deemed to be single lift, (labelled as such) many H&S eejits would insist that wherever they got put initially was where they stayed. So offload a lorry when you start a build then that 20 odd tons stays put. (If the market suggested an imminent price rise on steel and you had the room you might get multiple lorry loads at the start) So how do we get it up to the next multi storey floor slab we're building then?
More to the point, if they really are single lift, how do we get them off the lorry at all? :)

Not true. If it was you'd see shiny new straps on every tied down load you see on the road.

I got taught how to make a dolly knot, before I became a scout leader. I just couldn't get it, despite the guy showing me umpteen times. After about a week. I saw him writing an invoice out, Then it clicked, He was left handed! Got it straight away after that. So when I became a scout leader and was teaching knots. I made sure that I could show left and right handed. ( Also blindfolded, so I could teach visually impaired scouts)

Not true. If it was you'd see shiny new straps on every tied down load you see on the road.
Im fairly sure Ive seen non returnable ratchet straps on brand new crated motorbikes, they strap them down to a wooden base and drop a box over the top,,the crates and straps are non returnable to Japan I guess. The big ratchet straps used to secure loads to lorries are really quite a different animal, being massively built in comparison to the ones used to tie your suitcase to a roofrack. BTW whilst I have a good selection of ratcheting straps my go to straps are what I call sailboard straps, 1 inch webbing with an alloy buckle that has a spring loaded cam in it, just press the cam to open it, feed through the tail end of the strap and pull down tight, the cam grabbing every last millimetre and you can get them more than tight enough,

Depends on the strap. With built in hooks, easier on a wagon to use open, insert from the back and have the strap hanging down to tug on, especially if it's long then you don't have to tug upwards and it isn't flopping over you as you ratchet

Im fairly sure Ive seen non returnable ratchet straps on brand new crated motorbikes, they strap them down to a wooden base and drop a box over the top,,the crates and straps are non returnable to Japan I guess. The big ratchet straps used to secure loads to lorries are really quite a different animal, being massively built in comparison to the ones used to tie your suitcase to a roofrack. BTW whilst I have a good selection of ratcheting straps my go to straps are what I call sailboard straps, 1 inch webbing with an alloy buckle that has a spring loaded cam in it, just press the cam to open it, feed through the tail end of the strap and pull down tight, the cam grabbing every last millimetre and you can get them more than tight enough,

No doubt there's plenty of disposable/temporary versions about but every curtain sider/flat bed etc you see on the road does not use "one use" straps as the OP suggested.

QT5LjPS.png

Back