You know when you spot something on ebay, listed wrongly and think you're on to a winner.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Seems you're not alone :cry:
Listed as a rebate plane
Unusual plane, thought I'd seen it before but couldnt place it, then realized it was a tongue and groove plane.
Do I need one ? Nope, but you know..... :LOL:

Watched, slipped on small bid. waited...waited. poised to chuck a larger bid in at the end, which usually wins me things as most try to get it for cheap and never bid its worth... then it went all to hell.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-VINT...VQVbAGamQs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

An interesting plane. Wonder if it'll get any use or just be a collector's item? I've been fancying a Record or Stanley 71 router because I like the idea of having a micro-adjuster. I've watched a few sit at £30-£50 for days only to sell for £100-£150. Trouble is you can't hope to get lucky at car boot sales at present either.

I don't think that you get many collectable bargains now. There are too many people scouring every new listing on a semi professional basis. You may get the odd buy it now bargain but they are rare.

The only things that I have bought recently have been bargains compared with buying a comparable item new. These are things that you can pay market price but the things are unwanted by most of the market. A pH meter that I bought was a prime example, it cost me a little over the price of inaccurate Chinese tat, but is capable of 2 decimal places and more importantly (home) calibration. It was 450 brand new!

An interesting plane. Wonder if it'll get any use or just be a collector's item? I've been fancying a Record or Stanley 71 router because I like the idea of having a micro-adjuster. I've watched a few sit at £30-£50 for days only to sell for £100-£150. Trouble is you can't hope to get lucky at car boot sales at present either.

If you have the cash, I would say treat yourself and pay the £100-£150. If you like the feature, it is still a bargain for the times you would use it and you get to enjoy it rather than waiting a year to save £50. If you don't like it, you can relist it and it costs you a few quid and a bit of postage.

If you have the cash, I would say treat yourself and pay the £100-£150. If you like the feature, it is still a bargain for the times you would use it and you get to enjoy it rather than waiting a year to save £50. If you don't like it, you can relist it and it costs you a few quid and a bit of postage.
The Lie Nielsen version is £180-190, which I'd rather have if indeed I was into collecting planes. The one in the auction going at that price is as you say people using it as a 'collectors' item, but as a working plane the LN is probably the better investment. And LN seems to hold its price better whereas the old ones it goes up and down quite markedly.

The Lie Nielsen version is £180-190, which I'd rather have if indeed I was into collecting planes. The one in the auction going at that price is as you say people using it as a 'collectors' item, but as a working plane the LN is probably the better investment. And LN seems to hold its price better whereas the old ones it goes up and down quite markedly.

Yes, LN gear does seem a bit like that, even in very used condition.

Sometimes it just happens.. about 8 months ago i found a Wadkin BGS12, misnamed, mis spelt and with only a few terrible pictures on the bay.. Managed to get it for £300 but the guy called the next day to let me know the boss had leased out the whole yard, machines inc, and we was taking everything down and closing all the auctions :cry:

Possibly with a snipe service that only puts the bid in with a few seconds to go anyway.

If I ever see anything I want I won;t bother bidding on it at all until the last 2 minutes at the earliest.

People get involved and bid more than they originally wanted, meaning you end up having to pay more than you might otherwise have done bease you bid early and informed the enemy of your intent to attack.

Well it's only a fancy of mine at the moment, and if I can drop on one at the right price I might go for it. I have an Elu router and a Woodrat but to be honest the setup time for the small stuff I make (not to mention the noise and dust) sees me doing more and more stuff by hand. I've been using this little home-made router for a while. Not homemade by me I might add.
IMG_20210215_153028.jpg

I only ever bid in the last few seconds (in any online auction, not just ebay). Don't see the point in pushing the price up unnecessarily!
Likewise.
In many cases say it is or has an expected price of 100 and currently a tenner, many it appears will bid under 50 at the end, hoping to pick it up at the lowest price possible. I on the other hand ,even if im the current high bidder, will put in my final bid of 100 in those dying seconds and quite often i get it for around 60 or 70. Sometimes less.
Always raises an internal cheer when i have this happening, and think HA, shouldn't have been so cheap mate, it is what it is and worth what its worth.
Like this auction, id have expected it to be in the 50 mark inc post, and many would have bid its current 20 quid again hoping to secure it for a song. I'd bid that 50 no matter how low it was with seconds to go.

Always rely on people being greedy for a bargain :LOL:

I don’t get the last minute bidding thing. If I see something I just put in my maximum bid. If someone bids more then I’m not going to be hovering over it and emotionally put in a higher bid than I wanted. If someone else does bid more then that’s fine as it went for more than I was prepared to pay. If I win the bidding only goes up to a winning level not to my maximum. I think sniping is more to do with emotion than economics.

I can't remember the last time I bought something from ebay for a bargain.
It either turns up and it's rubbish or it goes for over the value I put on it.
Selling can be mental sometimes, I put a John deere ride on mower on there a few years ago and it fetch £200 more than a brand new one, very odd!! Not complaining.

Oh so you are the so-and-so who keeps out bidding me for a '71'. 😰. No but have given up on getting a 71 for a reasonable price. Saw one recently locally on Marketplace @£30 but not quick enough. Considering making my own.
Ebay in general is a real mixture of bargains and overpriced stuff. Must know what something is worth before bidding - that is how much new and how much it is worth to you.

Think that’s bad? Check out what this collar for a 71 is going for.

Stanley No71 Or No71 1/2 Router Plane Collar | eBay
Yes seen collars at that price many times and seen the cutters going for much more that the cost of a Veritas replacement from Axi.
I don't understand the need to collect woodworking tools. The are tools made to be used not stored away. Are they going to be the next Rembrants in fifty years time?
Martin

My latest eBay plane. £14.

You win some and you loose some - good job otherwise I'd be in trouble with the Mrs!!

Cheers James

Attachments

• IMG-20210211-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210211-WA0002.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 11
Back