you CAN get something for nothing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I managed to pick up some logs for nothing. They have only been felled within the last week or so and I have now sealed the end grain with knotting solution
There are several Eucalyptus logs, two silver birch and some other logs which I have forgotten the name of.
The ones I don't know have a lovely honey coloured wood on the sapwood but the heartwood is a pinkish colour. One of the logs still had a small branch with some leaves which are oval and slightly toothed around the edges. They have turned a deep coppery red like copper beech. Does anyone have an idea what wood this might be?

My problem now is I don't have a bandsaw or chainsaw so will have to improvise when cutting them up for blanks.
Is it best to cut them now while wet or season them and cut them later. I have seen a few videos that suggest its best to turn bowls green then paint them with pva or similar and pack them with shavings in a bag to dry out. They can then be given a final turning to correct any warping when dry. Is this the preferred method?

Here is my new stash
logpile1.jpg

logpile2.jpg

sbirch1.jpg

sbirch2.jpg

Lets hope my turning skills are better than my gardening ones :oops:

Attachments

• logpile1.jpg
    logpile1.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 581
  • logpile2.jpg
    logpile2.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 581
  • sbirch1.jpg
    sbirch1.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 581
  • sbirch2.jpg
    sbirch2.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 581
3rd pic is Silver Birch, and some in No 4 too. Can't make out what the coarse barked timber is in the first two shots though.

Free wood is always welcome though eh??!!

Taz the one with the camo bark is Eucalyptus.
The rough barked one is the one I am not sure about. I have emailed the guy who gave it to me so hopefully he will solve the mystery.

Cool. I've never seen eucalyptus in the wild before. I was offered some a while back, but the geezer never turned up. Couldn't be needing the money I suppose.

I get a lot of wood through work, luckily enough. Hoping to get some horse chestnut and a bit more yew fairly soon.

I'm afraid the eucalyptus is likely to be a disappointment, all samples I have acquired from small branches to 600+mm diam. have either split externally or fooled me into thinking I had mastered it only to find them full of internal cavities/splits when opened up.

You may have success in turning it up immediately into items with as thin a wall as possible and watching it perform its various gyrations as it dries, hopefully without splitting.

Thanks for the heads up Chas. I may have a go at a bit tomorrow to see what happens.

Good haul - Hope you are successful with at least some of it - the way I look at free wood is that whatever works is a bonus - any fails are good experience and learning.

Before I had a chainsaw, I just split the logs and sealed the ends. seemed to work OK.

Best of luck

Greg

Back