yew wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with phil - unless used as a fairly thin laminate between more stable timber, Im sure it would be too flexible. Also, I think you might struggle to find a piece of straight grained yew long enough. You may not, however. Having said that, yew makes a fantastic material for acoustic back and sides (as my Brook will attest).

Cheers,
Adam

mike rabjohns":2026zqen said:
does any one out there have any yew they dont need? i need enough to make a guitar neck. many thanks. mike.

PM me the size you need - I have a large stock of decent English Yew and will hopefully be able to find you a bit

phil.p":1pocw7cf said:
:?: Yew is prized for being flexible - you don't really want a bendy guitar neck! I assume you're going to laminate it?

I know yew can tolerate flexing to a very high degree - hence the bow use.

But.

Is it (in fact) less rigid than other timbers, when used in similar dimensions?

BugBear

I had a little book (published 1948) that said that the best dance floors were made of yew, so presumably it flexes between the floor timbers, which would be 2' or maybe less. I have heard of a yew floor locally, but I've not seen it.

Phil.

Back