"Yew" to me are everything (gloat)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a phone call on Thursday :-

"Is yew any good to you ?"
"Yes,it's lovely stuff - what have you got ?"
"Oh,just had a tree cut down - I thought it was a fir tree,but the bloke said it was a yew;it's yours if you want it,but I'm going on holiday on Sunday"
"Will it fit in my car,Tony?"
"Err.....probably not....and it might be best if you bring a chainsaw.."

So a quick phone call to borrow a van,and a drive to Hull and back this morning :-

Picture267Small-1.jpg

Picture269Small.jpg

Picture268Small.jpg

Longest bits are just over 5',thickest are about 12" diameter.

Was it worth the £20 it cost me in diesel ? I think so 8)

(Now just need to built another drying rack..)

Andrew

yew lucky man Andrew, now i see loads,loads, loads,loads of pens.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well done.

PowerTool":szqrhnvr said:
Had a phone call on Thursday :-

"Is yew any good to you ?"
"Yes,it's lovely stuff - what have you got ?"
"Oh,just had a tree cut down - I thought it was a fir tree,but the bloke said it was a yew;it's yours if you want it,but I'm going on holiday on Sunday"
"Will it fit in my car,Tony?"
"Err.....probably not....and it might be best if you bring a chainsaw.."

So a quick phone call to borrow a van,and a drive to Hull and back this morning :-

Picture267Small-1.jpg

Picture269Small.jpg

Picture268Small.jpg

Longest bits are just over 5',thickest are about 12" diameter.

Was it worth the £20 it cost me in diesel ? I think so 8)

(Now just need to built another drying rack..)

Andrew

I did not see this thread , nope , not me , no way , I didnt look at it

not at all

as I have not seen it , i am not going to say wow , well done , I'm jealous , none of the above !!

:wink:

Well maybe just one 8) 8)

..and there's another yew tree I can have if I fancy cutting it down for him.. :-$ (need to find somewhere better to store this lot first)

Andrew

PowerTool":2gl2iydk said:
..and there's another yew tree I can have if I fancy cutting it down for him.. :-$ (need to find somewhere better to store this lot first)

Andrew

Now you're just being cruel Andrew :twisted:

Pete

PowerTool":28ng566k said:

Andrew

"Yew" know yew could store it with me Andrew. :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

Hi Kevin - my mates not back off his holidays until next week.If I get the other tree,I'll drop "yew" some off - as long as you don't mind it being somewhat green.

Andrew

Out of interest, and I write as a new owner of a lathe, when u get wood like this, can it be turned straight away or must it be left for months first?

I am a landscaper and get quite a lot of wood thru my hands!

Hi WP

You can turn it straight away, but you do have to be prepared for movement and probably cracking (although it can be mitigated by not leaving thick sections). SOme people love to turn green - it is more forgiving on tool edges. Oh, and you do get a lot of sap thrown around the workshop......

Some things need seasoned wood though.

For a beginner, I think it's a great way to start, especially if the wood is free. Where are you based?

Welcome to the forum WP, a variation on the theme of turning a completed item green is to rough turn it to shape leaving enough material to accommodate distortion whilst drying.

Put aside and forget for a while (can be as little as two weeks) and finish turn when dry enough.

See this for the general idea.

PowerTool":1xwhzki7 said:
Hi Kevin - my mates not back off his holidays until next week.If I get the other tree,I'll drop "yew" some off - as long as you don't mind it being somewhat green.

Andrew

"Yew'll" do for me Andrew. :wink:

Back