Yew - should I or shouldn't I?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a jewellery box to make for our lass's birthday in a few weeks time – I have some boards of English Yew sitting in the workshop which I've had for a few years and was wondering about using it, but, I've never used yew before – I've heard it said that it's a bit of a pig to work with. I was just reading on Lumberjocks how someone had used Pacific Yew on a project and it was a nightmare from beginning to end; not sure if its working characteristics are different to English Yew.

So, anyone have an yew based advice? Should I leave it alone and use something else or am I worrying unnecessarily? I guess super sharp chisels and low angle planes are in order to deal with tearout.

Well seasoned English Yew works easily, it turns like butter so I see no reason you should have any problems.

Does not like generated friction heat but that is only a risk from finish sanding during turning. (heat stress cracks)

Unib":3eh5oh8b said:
So, anyone have an yew based advice? Should I leave it alone and use something else or am I worrying unnecessarily? I guess super sharp chisels and low angle planes are in order to deal with tearout.

It's lovely stuff to work with...provided you get hold of the right bit :mrgreen: It's prone to cracking and splitting, so even if it's been in your garage for a few years, it won't necessarily be conditioned for inside the house. Low angle BU planes yes, (with a very tight mouth) but make sure the effective pitch is fairly high, around 50-55deg, so a honed bevel of around 40degish - Rob

One of the benefits of a good old infill smoother Unib....

DSC_0111.JPG

Yew looking at me....yew looking at ME! (sorry - couldn't resist it!)

But it does help to have a reasonable iron!....

DSC_0113.JPG

8)

Jim

Ha - don't be showing me that Jim - I've got a very itchy Ebay finger – I don't take much persuading!!

Unib":32z79xsx said:
Ha - don't be showing me that Jim - I've got a very itchy Ebay finger – I don't take much persuading!!
Not knocking Jim's infills (got a large Norris panel plane myself) but it's the effective pitch of the iron (and a very tight mouth) that will tame yew and that can be achieved with the outlay of a lot less sponduilicks than on a Norris smoother - Rob

woodbloke":m0n525ks said:
Unib":m0n525ks said:
Not knocking Jim's infills (got a large Norris panel plane myself) but it's the effective pitch of the iron (and a very tight mouth) that will tame yew and that can be achieved with the outlay of a lot less sponduilicks than on a Norris smoother - Rob

Ah....well yes Rob...but I didn't pay much for the Slater...just keep a good eye out for these things! 8) It just happened to come with a Norris iron...quite lucky really!

I still hanker after your Norris Rob....but I will have to retire first to afford the real thing..... :mrgreen:

One day mate...one day! :wink:

Jim

jimi43":1nnkqm2v said:
I still hanker after your Norris Rob....but I will have to retire first to afford the real thing..... :mrgreen:

One day mate...one day! :wink:

Jim
It's still up for grabs Jim, but no Norris iron which I discovered recently. It doesn't get used, so is rusting away quietly to itself under the bench...bit like the Titanic really (and before anyone says, that's too big to go under the bench :mrgreen: ) - Rob

Never had a problem working English yew BUT I have had problems whilst turning the stuff with reactions to inhaling the dust and dust on the skin.! So take precautions with a very good mask and air cleaning extraction.

Back