Yew shallow dish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I decided to have an hour in the garage on Sunday afternoon and turn a piece of yew that I bought from Yandles back in July. It's about 6" diameter and 1 1/2" thick.

As it started to evolve on the lathe I noticed a purple streak starting to appear in it, has anybody any ideas as to what would have caused this ?

It's finished with chestnut sanding sealer and friction polish.

4132966043_c7a8021960.jpg

4132966439_65c0fb7f92.jpg

4132966993_9831d44b66.jpg

Hope you like it, comments welcome.

Steve
:D

Lovely work Steve. I think the purple has to do with spalting because Yew can take on some wonferful colours, highly prized by pen turners.

Brendan

That looks a lovely looking bowl and piece of Yew with the knot and purple stain in the middle Steve :D
Looks to be nicely finished with just enough shine on for my liking.
The purple stain question as been on before and i think it was caused from having iron somewhere in the tree,but this seems to be coming from a knot,so perhaps it is some sort of spalting taking place.
Keep em coming :D

The shape is superb & finish is like glass, shows the grain
to the max. The flat edge makes the bowl look deeper..
shame the purple did not spread in to the grain more.
Woulds give it house room..
Thanks for showing the bowl.

Purple in yew is because at sometime in its life it has had an iron nail in it. Reacts like in oak anly nicer colour.

Nice simple effective bowl. A use if ever I saw one

pete

Shows the character of Yew well, the variations in grain detail available are displayed for all to see.

Thanks Chas,

only wish I lived nearer to Yandles in stead of the 290mile round trip, which means I normally only get to call in on the way down south on holiday.

Steve

Keep your eyes open Steve, there is plenty of free wood around if you look for it. I admit yew isn't so common but lot's of other stuff worth having

Pete

That's a lovely looking bowl Steve and I love the finish you have put on it, but I must admit that I am not a fan of a small foot because I think that it takes the stability away when it is put into use. Yew is one of my favorite woods to turn. It's so exciting to see more than the turning form and to see the grain when it stops!

I used to live on the edge of Stroud before moving over here and I was lucky enough to have a friend who had cut several large yew trees a few years back and gave me all the wood I wanted. Especially when I gave them a couple of turned bits and they realised that it was a much better use than burning!

Yew is less common here, but!!! that is made up for by the common old box! and the odd bit of olive..

Keep on showing us your produce mate!

Yew is one of my favorite woods to turn. It's so exciting to see more than the turning form and to see the grain when it stops!

Thanks for the comments, I have to admit it was so smooth off the tool I only sanded with 400 & 600 Abranet before applying the finish.

Steve :D

Back