Yew sap warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOTTNICK

Established Member
Reaction score
I obtained some lovely Yew last week, almost as it was felled.
A couple of lovely X-sections, straight on the lathe for initial wet turning.
They were heavy so I was wearing Pro-shield.
However, sap was flying everywhere and I hadn't appreciated how nasty the stuff is.
As well as staining some nearby exposed steel black, I must have wiped my face with wet hands when I removed the protection.
A week later and I still have very red sore blotches on my face. There were some patches of small blisters initially. My eyes are still a bit puffy and my lips are still swollen.
I am taking antihistamine and it is getting better, but please be warned. It isn't just Yew dust that is toxic!

By the way, I soaked the pieces in Pentocryl, they are now drying out. They should make a couple of fantastic pieces.

Cheers

Yew must be the most poisonous wood growing in the UK. I wear nitrile gloves and an extractor mask when turning it. Turning it green I’ve had hot sap streaming onto my hand. However it is the most beautiful wood for turning. Cuts well, rarely splits, and has wonderful grain patterns.

Yew must be the most poisonous wood growing in the UK. I wear nitrile gloves and an extractor mask when turning it. Turning it green I’ve had hot sap streaming onto my hand. However it is the most beautiful wood for turning. Cuts well, rarely splits, and has wonderful grain patterns.
I agree about its beauty. I have really enjoyed turning it. Fortunately I was wearing an extractor mask, just no gloves. My avatar is of one of my favourite (yew) pieces.

I thought it was only the berries and leaves that were so toxic. I turned a tea caddy from a seasoned piece last year as a gift. Sounds as though I need to give a warning and suggest a alternative application!

You can make jam from the berries, but the seeds in them can kill you, a bit risky for my palette.

To be fair, we all regularly eat members of the nightshade family as we’ve cultivated to less deadly ones

Aidan

Indeed the berries are sweet and rather like Pomegranate flesh but I only eat one at a time so as to be sure to spit out the pip / seed which is the toxic bit... not sure about making jam I am sure it would be delicious but would always be a tad edgy that one or two pips might slip through the net!

Back