Yet more Startrite SDX310 planer problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris72

Established Member
Reaction score
Help Somebody!
I posted on here a couple of weeks ago with the problem of my planer basically bowing my timber by about 1mm.
I tried the sudgestion of not pressing down on the timber when feeding the wood over the blades but this seems to make no difference.
The tables appear to be bang on and the blades are set pretty much bang on.
Any ideas anybody?

If your 1mm is the same as whats on my "Murican tape" then your about as close as I've seen portable planers get. Assuming yours is that kind. Fact is most planers I've seen are only good to about 5-10 thousandths.
If you want it spot on the you have to use one of those things you push around and scrapes the wood off. :D

Alas my planer is one of those not so portable bolt to the floor jobs weighing about a quarter of a ton!.
Think you Muricans would call this part of the machine a jointer.Over here the whole set up is called a thicknesser planer.

AH!! yes we do tend to mis things up!
You said that your tables are OK but have you checked them with a straight edge from end to end. i had one that the outfeed table dropped at the end. I had to shim the ways. And your sure the knives are not just slightly above the outfeed table ? It only has to be one.

I have a 1.8 meter straight edge,which when I lay it across the outfeed table shows it has a slight dip of maybe ten thousanths of an inch ish in roughly the middle.The infeed table is pretty much the same.
The outfeed table is also adjustable on my machine and I have adjusted it so the blades just kiss the straight edge along their full width.
The timbers I am trying to straighten are two meters long whilst the machine tables are 1.5 meters long.When I level both tables up and lay a machined board across,it looks flat to the table.It would appear that its only the last eight or ten inches each end of the board which are giving me the problem.

Sometimes When I 'm doing a long board I have to run it off at both ends first before I run the whole thing through. That way it doesn't lift when the last few inches hit the infeed table or run off the outfeed table. IN other words I kind of straighten it by eye and it maybe slightly convex the first time I run it through the first time.
If that work somebody else has got to come up with something around here :)

Dave

My p/t is smaller than yours but I used to have a similar problem. When you are looking to straighten an edge put it onto say your table saw to check. If the ends are up in the air turn the board over so that the gap is in the middle and plane it that way up. The technique is straight forward as you are not able to rock the board as you feed it through.
Les

Thats the way I'm planing it now.The cupped side is facing against the table.All seems to be well,you can hear the wood being taken off where you would expect i.e more at each extreme end.The problem is when I put the board against the straight edge,it still shows the board cupping on the machined side

Chris, I can't help wondering: Is your straight edge straight? :-k Other than that, can I suggest exploring the wunnerful world of hand planes...?

Cheers, Alf

Hi Chris.

I to was wondering if your straight edge was in fact straight.

I really hope you find a solution soon. I know just how frustrating it can be.

ATB Gary.

unfortunately the straight edge is straight,I wish it wasnt!!!

Have you tried planing two boards and putting the faces together to check the actual gaps. It might just show up the problem a bit clearer, or it might not be as bad as it looks. :shock: :oops: If that makes sense.

Les

Hi Les,
Yes i've tried butting two planed boards together,it does look bad!.Im beginning to think that the problem lies with the weight of the timber transferring from one table to the other.Although i've used stands to support the timber as it goes on and off the tables ithink the sheer weight of the timber is giving me the problem.Im thinking that I should be pressing down very firmly as I feed in and out of the tables

One other thing I have thought of. Once the board gets 12 inches or so past the cutter you should concentrate your efforts on the out feed table. A lot of people push through on the infeed table. That is incorrect. it actually should be "pushed and pulled" through on the outfeed table

Yeh thats the way Im thinking,I dont think I have been putting enough pressure on.I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Thanks

There is no indication of where you live. If one of the forum members live nearby they might be able to help.

Les

Thanks for everybodys suggestions,I seem to have pretty much solved the problem.It appears that I have been holding the timber in rather a lady like fashion,now that I have adopted a more manly grip the problem seems to have resolved itself.Again cheers
Chris.

Back