Yet more MDF with a token bit of Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished this job yesterday in a clients utility room. The base cabinets hide a washing machine and tumble drier(rear vented), space under sink is for a laundry basket, tall cupboard for ironing board, washing powder etc.

thea1.jpg

thea2.jpg

All moisture resistant MDF except curved apron which was laminated using 7 layers of 1.5mm birch skin ply and the oak top which is 655mm wide to accomodate free standing appliances. Doors made from 18mm with 6mm panels, gothic arches to match windows are 6mm MDF planted onto panels. Tall door bifolds to miss mantle.

Painted with 1ct Jewsons MDF primer, 1ct Dulux quick drying primer/undercoat, 2cts Dulux oil based eggshell.

Jason

jason thats beautiful and the simple looks are the best , i like the way the window and doors match .
mdf the saver of trees
frank

Jason,

Alf will be pleased with the Gothic arches!

How did you make the arches - I guess you routed them from thin MDF with a template?

I thought about routing them with a bearing guided cutter but as the ends taper to nothing they were a bit flexible. As there were only 4 full arches and two halves I cut one on the bandsaw, cleaned up the outside curves on a disc sander and the inner ones with spokeshave & sandpaper. I then used this master to trace the others which were made in the same way.

The blanks were cut on the table saw to give me good square & parallel faces to the lower legs where they meet the styles. All stuck on with TitebondII.

Jason

This is turning out to be an MDF Open Weekend :D :D

I like it very much especially the cathedral style arches to compliment the window.

jason a lovely well balanced project nice clean lines good balance and symetry the finish sounds good have used similar myself in the past on a fitted wardrobe

Hi Jason

Absolutely beautiful work. Perhaps we should rename this mdf weekend.

Should I move this to the hand tools section as you mentioned a spokeshave? :lol:

Cheers
Neil

PS iirc I think I remember a solid wood chest of drawers you posted onto the sfx board. It had the drawers open showing off the dovetails.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I think MDF has got a bad name from the likes of Changing Rooms, treated the right way it is a very versatile and economic material to use.

If anyone is interested, have a scrole through these pics of a series of pieces I made for a clients lounge, all out of oak veneered MDF ( I didn't make the kitchen units at the end, just fitted it)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jaso ... CT0007.jpg

Jason

Very nice Jason.

Is the bookcase top a very thick piece of MDF or is it a box?

Also are the shelves fixed and what gives the frame its rigidity - I don't see a back panel. I know I'm probably being very thick but I've never been able to work out the best way of constructing this style of bookcase. :?

Ji Jason

Thank you for posting the link.

Your work is excellent and you're clients must be very pleased with the outcome.

Cheers
Neil

Tim

All the tops are made up from a panel of 19mm Veneered MDF with 50mm wide strips of 12mm MR MDF then 50mm Strips of the 19mm again, This gives the look of a solid 50mm top. They were made up 10mm oversize then the whole lot cut to finish size which gave a nice smooth edge to glue the flexi veneer edging to.

The shelves above & below the glass doors are biscuted in place all the others are adjustable and supported on magic wires, with the grooves places towards the bottom of the shelves for increased strength. Shelves & uprights are from 25mm board.

If you look at the pictures of the unit in my workshop you will see the green 6mm MR MDF backs, these were painted in the same colour emulsion as the walls before fixing to give the effect of no back but without the worry of scribing and providing stiffness to the whole thing.

Jason

Jason,

Great job. Magic wires?

Noel

Back