Yet more extraction questions!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrk

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to upgrade my dust extraction in my double garage workshop. Its mostly for power tools (plunge router, track saw, mitre saw etc). I will be getting a router table soon.

I currently have a trend T30 which I got on ebay and its rubbish - the hose barely sticks to your hand. My home VAX has miles more suction.

I'm looking to sell this and get set up something a bit more substantial but I have some questions which I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

If I get two of the SIP 01929 extractors can you double them up through a Y connector then into a cyclone? will it be substantially more powerful than a single one? could I even go up to 3 of them in the future?

what effect do different hoses make?
is it best to keep it as wide as possible and reduce at the end or the other way round? the SIP has 100mm hose which will need reducing to 63mm and even smaller for some tools.

Would 8m of 63mm single hose be too long from the cyclone/extractors? If I could get this length I would be able to have my extractors outside in a waterproof cabinet.

I willl also add a passive air filter at some point and I always wear a respirator when cutting.

Any input appreciated!
thanks

I've got the Woodstar version of the SIP dust extractor and it's bloody noisy - two or three together would be unbearable (maybe not for you if they're kept outside, but what about neighbours?)! I find that mine has sufficient suck for all my tools, though some more power wouldn't go amiss. Have a look at the Camvac extractors; they're well regarded on here http://www.yandles.co.uk/browse.php/section/252/level/3 and some have three motors.

Hope this helps,
Mark

hi, thanks. I did have a bit of a look at the camvac and thought they were more pricier than that. So yes, rather than 2 SIP i would go for the twin camvac as its only going to cost a bit more. I must have looked at the wrong machine as it was closer to £400!

Again though, should I get the 4" hose and reduce or just get the 2.5 from the start?! I would love to have this outside in a baffled box.
I dont really know where my new woodwork fetish will take me so dont know which machines I will end up getting in the long term.
thanks again

As I have just found out through advice on here, you need to use the correct size of hose for the extractor for as long as possible and just use a reducer as close to the machine as possible. This gives you the best suck and it's made a massive differece to the amount of suck I get as I used to reduce it closer to the extractor and then use a length of 2.5" pipe to connect to machines. It tends to mean that shavings get stuck where your reducer is located as the flow is reduced in the smaller pipe.

Whether you should start off with a 2.5" extractor I'm not sure.

I can recommend a Camvac. Really good machines. I have a triple motor one but only use the 2 motors and there's plenty of suck!

Back