Yet more discussion of external wood preserving/treating.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morqthana

Reaction score
Found this site when I did a search for Sadolin vs Sikkens, which got me Sadolin Ultra vs Sadolin Classic vs Sikkens Filter 7 Plus

Wow - full marks/many thanks/kudos to RogerM for such a scientific test. If only I'd known 5-10 years ago that I'd need a similar question answering I'd have started a test like it myself.

The info is interesting (and surprising that Sadolin Classic doesn't fare well - makes me wonder about their other products?), but it's all hardwoods and treated softwood, and I'm looking for something to apply to a wooden building made of untreated softwood (northern Scandinavian pine).

The maker recommends the following

1) A single coat of clear wood preservative (Cuprinol or Blackfriars, or Sadolin) internally and externally.

Followed by

2) External - they say that they've found Sadolin, Jotun/Butinox & Sikkens Novatech/Novatop to be good, but only go into detail with Sadolin, suggesting one of

- 1 coat of Classic then 1 coat of Extra
- 2 coats of Onecoat
- 2 coats of Superdec
- 2 or 3 coats of Classic

About 70 sq m external surface to cover.

Colour options, translucent/opaque and gloss/semi choices apart, does anyone have any views on one option vs another, Sadolin vs Jotun vs Sikkens?

those topcoats get very expensive at say 10m2 a litre! i recommend sikkens for joinery and gates( as long as I'm not buying). sadolin is similar apparently a bit inferior but it costs the same.
I say clear preserver then spray or paint bedec barn paint. bit cheaper as well as water based. spraying with airless will result in only 2 coats being required thus saving much brushing.

Thanks. I'm really looking for a penetrating translucent waterproofing/weatherproofing treatment. If I could get a satin finish product which was colourless but magically blocked all UV I'd probably go for that.

But I might be using scaffold boards for about 125m² of fencing, so I'll bear that paint in mind.

Back