• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Yet more discussion of external wood preserving/treating.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

morqthana

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this site when I did a search for Sadolin vs Sikkens, which got me Sadolin Ultra vs Sadolin Classic vs Sikkens Filter 7 Plus

Wow - full marks/many thanks/kudos to RogerM for such a scientific test. If only I'd known 5-10 years ago that I'd need a similar question answering I'd have started a test like it myself.

The info is interesting (and surprising that Sadolin Classic doesn't fare well - makes me wonder about their other products?), but it's all hardwoods and treated softwood, and I'm looking for something to apply to a wooden building made of untreated softwood (northern Scandinavian pine).

The maker recommends the following

1) A single coat of clear wood preservative (Cuprinol or Blackfriars, or Sadolin) internally and externally.

Followed by

2) External - they say that they've found Sadolin, Jotun/Butinox & Sikkens Novatech/Novatop to be good, but only go into detail with Sadolin, suggesting one of

- 1 coat of Classic then 1 coat of Extra
- 2 coats of Onecoat
- 2 coats of Superdec
- 2 or 3 coats of Classic

About 70 sq m external surface to cover.

Colour options, translucent/opaque and gloss/semi choices apart, does anyone have any views on one option vs another, Sadolin vs Jotun vs Sikkens?

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
those topcoats get very expensive at say 10m2 a litre! i recommend sikkens for joinery and gates( as long as I'm not buying). sadolin is similar apparently a bit inferior but it costs the same.
I say clear preserver then spray or paint bedec barn paint. bit cheaper as well as water based. spraying with airless will result in only 2 coats being required thus saving much brushing.

morqthana

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm really looking for a penetrating translucent waterproofing/weatherproofing treatment. If I could get a satin finish product which was colourless but magically blocked all UV I'd probably go for that.

But I might be using scaffold boards for about 125m² of fencing, so I'll bear that paint in mind.