Yet more bandsaw questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickfb

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Charnwood bandsaws namely the W730 14''. Spec looks good. I have done load of research on Charnwood machines but can't find many reviews. I finished hanging the new internal doors today so now have time to make things. Tried buying a shop returned Axminster AWHBS350N but missed it by 15mins. Does anyone recommend an alternative make around £450. The Axi 350 is'ent in stock until mid may. Just need a bandsaw to complete my beloved workshop. I have wanted a workshop for years, have moved into a house with a decent size garage, which is now my workshop

Thanks for all the info up to now. You must be getting fed up with my questions on bandsaws.

Many Mick

It seems to be very, very similar to the AWHBS350N but a little larger - 230mm max cut as against 200mm and 1.5hp motor against the Axminster 1hp. All these saws are of far eastern origin and they all need a degree of fettling - and probably a better blade. Apart from the colour :) I'm sure it will be fine - after you've set it up.

I really getting fed up, all the bandsaws I like are out of stock. I think they must be still making them in China or are on a ship somewhere.

A local store have suggested a SIP 01548 14".

Has anyone had any dealings with SIP tools.

I have come to the conclusion that all bandsaws in this price range are made by the same manufacturer with just cosmetic changes for different suppliers. Can not find any decent reviews on this bandsaw. AHHHHHHHHHHH.

Mick

Mickfb":voz3384i said:
I really getting fed up, all the bandsaws I like are out of stock. I think they must be still making them in China or are on a ship somewhere.
A local store have suggested a SIP 01548 14".
Has anyone had any dealings with SIP tools.
I have come to the conclusion that all bandsaws in this price range are made by the same manufacturer with just cosmetic changes for different suppliers. Can not find any decent reviews on this bandsaw. AHHHHHHHHHHH.
Mick

Surprised you've only just discovered that almost all the low/mid priced machines are made from a variety of mix-'n-match kits from the far east :)

I have a SIP P/T and found it excellent, can't speak for their bandsaw but I would expect it to be on a par with all its similarly priced competitors.
Its main specs are very similar to the Axminster AWHBS400N but it's cheaper

I have a smaller 10" SIP bandsaw, and I can't fault it. The only parts that annoy me are the max. cutting height (probably reasonable for the size of the motor) and the throat depth (obviously a function of the wheel size). I wouldn't say it's impressed me enough that I'd specifically seek out an SIP when I eventually upgrade, but I certainly wouldn't discount them based on my experience with this one. It's certainly been worth what I paid for it second-hand.

(I did think it had started to shake itself to bits at one point, I was getting horrible table vibration whenever I ran it, but it turned out I'd carelessly left one of the bolts off... !)

Check out the Sip 12 & 14" Bandsaw review in last month's (month before's?) copy of the Woodworker. They were of the view that they were pretty good and represented very good value for money.

Hi Mick - it's been said before but do please consider a second-hand one. Good bandsaws are quite basic things and haven't evolved at all over decades, if anything they have been 'value-engineered' to get cost down. The 730 looks a lot of machine but the compromise has to be in precision and overall quality of components.
There are several on ebay right now at around £250 - £350 that would beat the Sip on all counts - particularly strength of frame, balance of wheels, quality of guide assemblies.
There are some nice Elektra Beckums out there (around £300) and at your price point, up from that but in your price range a Startrite 351 would be an outstanding machine I think. And then if you ever sell you would get your money back.

Second-hand machines can be a great buy providing you know what you're looking for and what to avoid plus you don't mind repairing/renewing/modifying/painting as required. You'll probably have to collect so weight/available vehicle and fuel/time costs need to be added. You may be able to get the seller to palletise and use a courier but many won't. If you just want a machine delivered and get on with some woodwork then new is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back