Yet another shedshop Mike's way. Ish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2x2 will normally sort if it is 20mm cladding and 25mm batten.

You can screw into the batten rather than the edge grain of the cladding.

Or you can get capping that goes over the top and covers end grain.
Oh ok, now i get it. So one batten at far edge of each building side to create a sort of L shape housing at the external corner, then a square section timber fitted to that L housing, fastened into one or both of the battens. And finally the cladding. Got it. Thanks.
Martin

Got it.

Attachments

• Corner detail..gif
    Corner detail..gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
Progress update, over the course of the last few weekends...

Battening, went up fairly quickly and no major issues. Lots of splinters though...
IMG_1745.JPEG

IMG_1746.JPEG

IMG_1747.JPEG

And then on to cladding. Delivery was interesting, truck just about squeezed into our drive, a little bit squeeky bum. And the crane only took out a few branches...
IMG_1767.JPEG

Once it was all in, on to cladding. I got a good system going, made up a little plywood jig to get the spacing right, and made an s-shaped bracket to hold the other end while putting the first nail in. Once up and running, it goes up pretty quickly, and got the majority it of it done in a weekend.

Starting on the far end, less visible so all my mistakes can go there. I used 2x2 corners, pre-assembled with two battens screwed in to form the 90, then nailed to the frame. Seemed to work pretty well...

IMG_1770.JPEG

IMG_1773.JPEG

I tried to keep as much air gap as I could to allow ventilation through the gable ends. And somehow managed to totally mis-measure the length. Uggh, the angles were a pain.
img_1774-jpeg.138505

I didn't get any photos of the back side (there isn't much to look at, nor is there much room/light to take photos, only about 2 foot between the shed and the hedge), or the other end (it's just the same as this end, funnily enough).

The trim around the window was a bit fiddly but all the small cladding pieces were the same length, so I must have done something right...
IMG_1807.JPEG
IMG_1808.JPEG

And then this weekend's job, doors. I had some leftover cladding, 1x5 and 2x2 (and a few similar but random sized pieces from the packing for the cladding), all pressure treated. So my plan was half-lapped 2x2 for a frame, 1x5 rails across the top, middle and bottom to mount the hinges and clad between the 1x5. And then eventually insulate between the frame, and finally cover the inside in OSB when I line the rest of the shed.

Frame mostly done, half-laps glued, test fitting for the first time. Side to side size is spot on, height needed a good 5mm trimmed...
IMG_1855.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_1774.JPEG
    IMG_1774.JPEG
    251.7 KB · Views: 407
Rails on, hinges mounted...
IMG_1856.JPEG

And they work! (so far)...
IMG_1860.JPEG

Still to do...
  • Clad the door
  • Door bolts, handles and lock
  • Gutters
  • Soffits
  • Insulation
  • Lining
  • Floor
  • Electrics/Lighting
  • Maybe a bit of a tidy up at some point?

The only refinement I can see is put another board low down angled out from the wall and tuck the DPM up behind it, then slab the outside also angled away from the wall so the board drips onto the slabs.

The only refinement I can see is put another board low down angled out from the wall and tuck the DPM up behind it, then slab the outside also angled away from the wall so the board drips onto the slabs.
My current plan, according to Mike's original design. is to cut off the DPM at or above ground level and seal it with liquid rubber to the slab. This gives the slab some above ground exposure to release any moisture absorbed either during the pour or from rainfall/splashback. I'll dig a bit of a moat and fill with gravel to improve drainage and reduce splashing. And there's enough of an overhang on the roof that nothing drips from the roof, so it would only be driving rain on the cladding. And even then, there's a good 2cm overhang from the cladding to the brick. I'm not sure I see the benefit in adding further layers to the concrete/brick. I think the exposed concrete/brick will probably last longer than any other material on this shed as long as there's no water pooling anywhere

Update after a couple of weeks...

Finishing off the doors. I decided to clad the doors with the same cladding as the walls. Partly because it looks consistent but also because I had some leftover from the rest of the cladding.

IMG_1876.JPEG

IMG_1877.JPEG

It might have been nice if I'd had the foresight (and amount of material needed) to continue with matching grain right across the walls/doors. But I'm happy with them as is.

Locks and door handles on and moving on to the soffits. Just drilling out the vent holes...
IMG_2077.JPEG

All done. I decided to use the same cladding for the soffits as the walls, again because I had some left over. Also edge strips on the gable ends of the roof went up, and the guttering is on (no pictures sorry).
IMG_2180.JPEG

So outside is pretty much done. On to the inside...
IMG_2227.JPEG

IMG_2228.JPEG

50mm insulation and then 18mm OSB. No WiP pictures sorry, but it was a fairly miserable job (I had picked up lots of small offcuts of 100mm from a local plumbers merchant and needed to resaw them all down to 50mm) that I just wanted to crack on with.

IMG_2231.JPEG

I need to do something at the threshold. Not easy to see but there's bit of a height difference between the door jamb and the floor, so I need some trim piece or something to fill the gap. On the list it goes

Update after a couple of weeks...

Finishing off the doors. I decided to clad the doors with the same cladding as the walls. Partly because it looks consistent but also because I had some leftover from the rest of the cladding.

View attachment 139902
View attachment 139903

It might have been nice if I'd had the foresight (and amount of material needed) to continue with matching grain right across the walls/doors. But I'm happy with them as is.

Locks and door handles on and moving on to the soffits. Just drilling out the vent holes...
View attachment 139904

All done. I decided to use the same cladding for the soffits as the walls, again because I had some left over. Also edge strips on the gable ends of the roof went up, and the guttering is on (no pictures sorry).
View attachment 139905

So outside is pretty much done. On to the inside...
View attachment 139906

View attachment 139907
50mm insulation and then 18mm OSB. No WiP pictures sorry, but it was a fairly miserable job (I had picked up lots of small offcuts of 100mm from a local plumbers merchant and needed to resaw them all down to 50mm) that I just wanted to crack on with.

View attachment 139908
I need to do something at the threshold. Not easy to see but there's bit of a height difference between the door jamb and the floor, so I need some trim piece or something to fill the gap. On the list it goes
Looks about 2" so another piece of 2x2?

Concrete gravel board at ground level laid flat DPM turned up and over and then build a brick threshold, could look good.

Last edited:
Long time lurker embarking on a shed build and thought I'd start a build thread.

In my previous house I had an off the shelf 14x8 'heavy duty' shed that acted as a workshop, timber store, bike storage, garden storage, etc. etc. I moved last year to a larger property and while we were looking around, one of the things on my list of requirements was a decent workshop space. The house we ended up buying has no workshop but plenty of garden. So permission and budget was negotiated, planning permission was sought (Guernsey planning permission is a little stricter in certain ways than UK) and a couple of weeks ago the build started.

So budget and WAF will stretch to a 20x10 timber frame on a concrete base. Not enormous but twice the size as my previous shed and, crucially, entirely devoted to workshop space. I'm planning on following Mike's design mostly, concrete base, two courses of bricks, floating kingspan/chipboard floor over the concrete, timber frame, OSB inside, wrap and cladding outside. I'm thinking of following the design of my previous shed for the roof, gabled end wall framing, then two trusses and six framed roof panels that will be easy for me to lift and slot on the trusses. Then onduline sheets or EDPM, haven't decided yet.

I've got an overall budget of £5.5k, which is going to be pushed very hard. Guernsey is not cheap for building materials at the best of times but timber prices lately mean I'm going to have to get creative. I'll be building mostly at weekends in between full time job, three kids and a dog so progress it likely to be slow but I'd like to get it up and done (or at least water tight) over the summer. Time will tell...
Good luck! I built one a bit smaller(about 4.5m X 3.5m) about 2 years ago, no concrete base but screw jacks. Cost me slightly in excess of 5k, and stuff has gone up a fair bit since then.

Did not bother with a concrete base, just built retaining walls off piers and pad foundations, been there over fifteen years now and never moved.

1670699361141.jpeg

Back