Yet another shed build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
Mission statement

Get rid of this
shed 008.JPG

and smaller shed next to it

use this
034.JPG

to make this
shed5.jpg

I have started on the base and will post more later as I know how you all like WIP pics

Attachments

• shed 008.JPG
    shed 008.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 4,058
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 3,988
  • shed5.jpg
    shed5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 4,040
The more natural light the better in my opinion - but make sure the glass is toughened - I learnt the hard way :oops: :oops:

Hi all

what the sketch up doesnt show is that the shed is divided internally to seperate thegardening c**p from sawdust making activities hence the two doors. the window is probably not that width but the sketch up is only my guide, the whole build is basically in my head and so far I have three walls built. I will post more pics soon.
thanks for the comments though.

As you say the window dimension is not yet confirmed, you've still got time to grab something very cheap off ebay and build around it. Doing it the other way round (buying a window to fit a specific opening) could give you problems.

Why not have it ALL as your workshop, and stick up a 6 x 4 for the gardening stuff, if SWMBO will let you get away with it?

Roy

Hi Roy

you must be pyschic, as that is exactly what I have done. Window off e-bay (needs height lessened ) then the frame has been built to suit the window. The smaller shed used to hold(just) all the gardening stuff mowers etc, but I still get a bigger sawdust shed as I have increased the base width of the previous two sheds from 6ft to 8ft and the length of the new twin shed is 22ft
more pics
the base is 3x2 with DPC between the timber and concrete
029.JPG

the original power cable realigned through the base with phone and cat5 added (might as well do it now)
030.JPG

the floor is 22mm gravel boards pressure treated

more to follow

Attachments

• 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 3,775
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 3,775
More progress
Some of these
034.JPG

have been tranformed in to these
004.JPG

and I even managed (between the showers today) to partially clad one wall
005.JPG

you can also see my roof joist template
003.JPG

Thats all for now as the temperature outside is not condusive to staying out too long.

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 3,643
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 3,643
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 3,624
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 3,639
Morning fh,

You are off to a 'flying' start; the build will go quickly at this stage. We couldn't believe what we achieved in three days.
I do like the template for the roof....canny move for getting the cut outs.
I notice that you have overhung the featheredge. Will the next 'wall' be cut on the stud, so that they butt together?
If so, how will you approach the waterproofing at the corners?
Good luck with the build.

Regards...Dick.

Further progress, between the showers,hail, wind! So much for spring. In my neck of the woods there hasnt been a day without rain since the hosepipe ban was introduced!!
056.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

053.jpg

Managing to do about 45mins each evening after work, but having started at 0345 this morning enthusiasm wanes slightly

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 3,393
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 3,393
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 3,409
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 3,413
Cegidfa":1qpguy69 said:
Morning fh,

You are off to a 'flying' start; the build will go quickly at this stage. We couldn't believe what we achieved in three days.
I do like the template for the roof....canny move for getting the cut outs.
I notice that you have overhung the featheredge. Will the next 'wall' be cut on the stud, so that they butt together?
If so, how will you approach the waterproofing at the corners?
Good luck with the build.

Regards...Dick.

Hi Dick
I must have missed your reply hence my late reply to you.
The previous shed had the cladding fitted the same way as i propose and didnt have a problem re waterproofing. The corners between the shiplap boards will probably have a quarter bead down the edge. The template was a good idea till i stepped back whilst manouvering a side wall on Sunday and broke the end :roll:

wow it is going up quick!

Like you we've had no let up in the rain for around 10days now.
Getting workshop time is hard when it's raining, as for me I have to run extention leads out to the top of the garden! hate it :(

Hi Melinda

Here in Norfolk we have had rain every day since April 1st!!, so the shed has been a slow process but just for you here is where I have got to now.

111.jpg

The back of the shed that adjoins my neighbour may take longer to finish as, in order to carry the shiplap along and hide the oil tank I first need to figure out how to move the tank, with about 1200L still in it.

108.jpg

I only have to move the tank forward about 6in! but with the contents it probably weighs over a ton, any suggestions anyone. My neighbour kindly suggests that I pump the oil in to his tank(isn't he helpful!!)

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3,026
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 3,045
Dick in Wales would be proud of the way I managed to move my oil tank.

Construct a rough (and I mean rough!!) scaffold frame
2012-05-04 15.28.16.jpg

attach 5 truck ratchet straps that are pinched by another strap round the tank below the bulge and then tighten till the tank lifts and then lever the tank forward 6inches. release the straps and hey presto it worked!! should have taken pics of the lifting process but once I had started I just wanted get the tank safely back on to its support.

with that two hours work done I could continue with the cladding

2012-05-04 17.54.38.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-05-04 15.28.16.jpg
    2012-05-04 15.28.16.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 2,935
  • 2012-05-04 17.54.38.jpg
    2012-05-04 17.54.38.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 2,918
Morning fh,

Well done that man. Definite bout of ‘frontier spirit’ there. :) =D>
It is amazing what can be done with ‘the little grey cells’, when intractable problems occur.
Not to mention the thought of having to spend vast sums of money on ‘getting men in’ for what is really a small job. :evil:

This is where living in the country pays dividends; I would contact my friendly farmer Hubert, and he would come round with his telehandler and have the job done in no time.
And if he charged at all, it would be no more than £10. We all need a Hubert in out lives. :)

In your last pic it shows the cladding going past the end wall, what is happening there?
I know that you said the shed was to be 22 feet long, but it looks massive. :shock:
So bonne chance with the rest of the build. (hammer) (hammer)

Regards...DIck.

Hi Dick
The cladding that extends past the end wall is why i had to move the tank forward. I wanted to tidy up the area and hide the back of the tank so extending the cladding to do both jobs seemed like a good idea till I realised I had to move the tank..... The photo above ( no 108) shows the tank that is now hidden behind the cladding.

How is your palace coming on? Any more leaks yet!

Ian

Morning fh,

That makes sense, they aren't the most stylish edifice known to man :wink:
The cladding is now finished on the 'palace' and there is an update for you to peruse.

Regards...Dick.

Update
Cladding now finished and one coat of Cuprinol applied, roof felted and watertight(I hope)
014.jpg

The roof was covered with Wickes Ultra Durable felt and the joints/overlaps glued with their mastic. Beware if thinking of using this felt as it comes in rolls 1m wide with no selvage/overlap strip so the actual coverage is less than 1m

and a start made on the doors
016.jpg

the door frame will be made and hung and then I will clad them as I dont think I could pick up and manouvere them if I pre clad them

I managed to pick up four pairs of 4"heavy duty ball bearing hinges for £4 at the local carboot so a result there.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,384
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,367
The outside is now complete bar a final coat of Cuprinol and one piece of cladding at the bottom of a door and glaze the window. I need to build a small ramp for the mower so cant determine yet how much the cladding will need to be trimmed, The local carboot came up trumps again with new Union deadlocks complete with thumbturn euro cylinder and three keys for £1 each and fan heaters at 2 for £1!

018 (2).JPG

021.JPG

Might add guttering later as well but for now it is a case of moving the gardening stuff from the old shed, so my neighbour can have it, and then fitting out the larger shed with benches, cupboards, electrics, still!(joke) etc

Attachments

• 018 (2).JPG
    018 (2).JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 1,301
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,317

Latest posts

Back